1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!

Bump on tongue piercing.

Discussion in 'Facial/Oral Piercings' started by shakah, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shakah Guest

Message Count:
    I know it's pretty common for to have 'the bump' on the bottom hole of a tongue piercing but mine seems to be out of control. It seems like it just keep getting bigger and bigger. I must admit that I stoped using diluted listerine/sea salt. I will start using sea salt again but is there anything else I could do? I know it depend on a lot of factor how long before it goes away? It's so big and ugly that I even thought about cutting it off (I know this would be stupid) or retiring it. Oh also I wear a 4mm as a bottom ball which is sorta small for a tongue piercing. Do you think a bigger ball could help somehow?
  2. Illyria Jade_mod New Member

Message Count:
    is your ball slipping into the piercing? if not, it's fine.
    is the bb too short and putting pressure on the bump?
    yeah, cutting it off would be a very dumb idea.
    how big is the bump?
    and start your aftercare back up...you can't complain that it got bigger if you're not doing aftercare!!! ;)
    if it's too big (bigger than the ball on the bb) I'd suggest going and seeing your piercer...
  3. shakah Guest

Message Count:
    No my ball isn't slipping into the piercing but it might put pressure on the bump. I think I'm going to put a longer barbell in for a couple of days and see if that seems to help (if I can stand it, that is). The bump is almost as big as the 4mm ball. I'm going to take very good care of it  for a week and if it stays the same or get bigger I'm going to go to my piercer.
  4. Illyria Jade_mod New Member

Message Count:
    is it round, or irregularly shaped? if it's weird shaped, I'd say go to your piercer.  be aware that changing the jewelry can make the bump worse...
  5. shakah Guest

Message Count:
    It's kind of weird shaped. I just called him and he said that if it doesn't hurt, it's probably just scar tissue and that with sea salt it will go away and it it doesn't it could always be chirurgically removed. I hope it does go away cause I hate blood in my mouth.  :|
  6. Illyria Jade_mod New Member

Message Count:
    keep us updated, let us know how it goes!
  7. iamblackbird Little Miss Apocalypse

Message Count:
    Well, at least you know not to chop it off yourself!

Have you tugged on your piercing or anything recently?
  8. thedrummer New Member

Message Count:
    i had--"the bump" for a while on my top side. Just keep up with your Listerine. Chances are its probably nothing, and its good that you know better than to cut it off. Knowledge is power, and like they have already said-- if it becomes weird or bigger, than go back to your piercer.
  9. shakah Guest

Message Count:
    No. I think the bump just slowly got bigger cause there was a small one then one day I looked at it and whoa the bump had gotten bigger. It's not like I take a look at the bottom of my tongue everyday. I think it's just the lack of aftercare. :oops:
  10. Illyria Jade_mod New Member

Message Count:

listerine bad.  sea salt soaks good.
  11. killrbat New Member

Message Count:
    I have 2 bumps on the underside of my tongue that resulted from having to remove my new piercings. I think they are the result of an inexperienced piercer. My tongue piercings were badly placed and I was also told to use listerine as often as needed. My bumps are gradually getting smaller as a result of using non-iodized salt and warm water rinses. I have learned that the underside of the tongue is much more delicate than the top. If you continue good aftercare I believe your bump will go away and you can enjoy your piercing. As soon as mine are gone I'm gonna have mine pierced again; this time by someone who knows what they are doing.
  12. shakah Guest

Message Count:
    It always help to have a good start by getting it done by an experienced piercer but sometimes bump just happens. They are very common on tongue piercings. That doesn't make them any less annoying but at least you know you're not alone.

I really hope it does go away cause I'm not a big fan of surgery and well, I could use my money for something else.
  13. thedrummer New Member

Message Count:
    Diluted Listerine was what i was told to use. 50-50. plain listerine before and after meals.  Nothing was mentioned about sea salt soaks.  ?
  14. iamblackbird Little Miss Apocalypse

Message Count:
    Listerine has some things in it that are NOT helpful to a new piercing. From http://www.drugs.com/PDR/Listerine_Mouthrinse.html  ::

If you diluted it only 50/50, then it's still FAR too strong. You would need to dilute it WAY more than that. Also, sea salt is MUCH cheaper, and it's ingredients are.....sea salt. The end. Much more biocompatible.
  15. Illyria Jade_mod New Member

Message Count:
    there's that big rewind straight to "alcohol should never be used on piercings".  And trust me, we've all felt listerine burn.  1 part listerine to 10 parts water is how much you'd need to dilute it, at least.  listerine and mouth washes like that kill off healing cells in your tongue piercing, which doesn't exactly promote healing.
  16. shakah Guest

Message Count:
    I think my bump got bigger. Or maybe I'm just paranoid. It also doesn't help that I know it's there so I keep playing with it. Anyway.

How do you tell the difference between a keloid and a hypertrophic scarring? Yes, I will go to my piercer but it's closed today and tomorrow I can't go so it'll have to wait till Wednesday.
  17. shakah Guest

Message Count:
    I finally got it removed with a scalpel today. The procedure went very well and it didn,t hurt at all. Hopefully it'll heal just fine.
  18. solnyez New Member

Message Count:
    Who cut it off and how did the whole procedure go? *curious*
  19. shakah Guest

Message Count:
    My piercer cut it off. It was pretty big and it was putting pressure on my tongue web and it hurt and there was no way it would go way on its own. It already feels so much better.  My piercer had an assistant that held my tongue with the clamps and he cut it off at the root with a scalpel. There's still a kind of a ring around the hole but it would have bleed a lot to cut it deeper. I know there are chances that it'll come back but if it does I'll remove the barbell immediatly.
  20. iamblackbird Little Miss Apocalypse

Message Count:
    Well, I'm just glad that you got it off for now. Hopefully *crosses fingers for Shakah's luck* it won't come back!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.