1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!

Dry skin around nipple piercings

Discussion in 'Healing and Aftercare Forum' started by eakelso, Dec 6, 2012.

1. eakelso New Member

Message Count:
    Hey guys! I got my nipples pierced about 2 weeks ago and have been using H2Ocean on them. Since then, they have become extremely dry. I've read that tea tree oil helps, but is there something that I can apply directly to my skin to help with the dryness?

Also, is it enough to just use H2ocean, or do I need to use antibacterial soap too? I don't want to over clean them and slow my body's natural healing process. I've read different views and the antibacterial soap issue.

Thanks!
    Liz
  2. kcrane New Member

Message Count:
    Emu oil!!!!
  3. patbodpierce Member

Message Count:
    Don't use antibacterial soap the SSS is still the best
  4. Angel on the Edge Administrator

Message Count:
    Hey Liz,

As Pat said, sea salt soaks (SSS) are the best thing for you. Just boil a cup of (preferably) distilled water, add 1/4 tsp. sea salt and a couple drops of tea tree oil, mix well, let it cool, and then use a clean shot glass or other small cup to soak each nipple. You'll get the moisturizing benefit of the tea tree oil and the SSS will be cleansing. You should save the H2Ocean for in between soaks. Avoid antibacterial soap altogether, because it'll just dry your skin out more and aggravate your sensitive new piercings.

If your skin is still dry after doing a few soaks with tea tree oil, I'd get some Yube cream (you can order it on Amazon for less money than I've found anywhere else) and rub it into the skin around your piercings, but avoid getting it too close to the piercings themselves. Mountain climbers use Yube for dry/cracked skin and minor cuts, and I'm a huge fan now, too. My hands get dry to the point where they crack and bleed throughout the winter, and that's one of the only things that helps me. You could also use some vitamin E oil, but again, don't apply it too close to your piercings. It can accelerate the healing process to the point where the outside will heal more quickly than the inside, trapping in bacteria and potentially causing problems. The safest thing to get close to/in your piercing is tea tree oil mixed into your SSS.

Hope that helps! Good luck, and let us know how you fare.

Laura
  5. eakelso New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try the oil tonight :)
  6. Angel on the Edge Administrator

Message Count:
    You're most welcome, Liz! Good luck!
    Laura
  7. Lovesteel56 Member

Message Count:
    I'm having a similar issue after using the tea tree oil, but I used saline instead of boiling water. Is that ok?
  8. Angel on the Edge Administrator

Message Count:
    Hi Lovesteel56,

Saline is good to use to rinse off in between sea salt soaks (e.g. a couple spritzes of H2Ocean or Nature's Pure Defense), but I think a proper SSS 2x/day would be best. Add the tea tree oil and then use a shot glass or other small container to actually submerge each nipple in the solution for a few minutes.

I wouldn't suggest rubbing this into your piercings, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, there's this wonderful cream called Yube that's the only thing that helps re-moisturize my skin when it's badly dried out. You could rub that around your piercings, but if the majority of the dryness is right by the piercings, that probably wouldn't help enough. I don't know if tea tree oil can safely be applied directly to the skin around a piercing... Maybe a little olive oil would help and be safer to put close to your piercings? Unfortunately I don't know for sure if that would be ok. I'd suggest sending Rainbird a private message and asking her what she suggests. Tell her what you've tried already if you do message her.

Good luck!
    Laura
  9. Rainbird The Pierced Godmother

Message Count:
    Hi Liz,
    Congratulations on your lovely new nipple piercings. You will love them once they are healed.
    It can take 6 months to a year to heal nipples so do be patient with them. They are still very fresh at 2 weeks.
    You don't say how you were making your sea salt soaks but please be sure that you are using the right salt, it must be pure sea salt, and not over dosing the mixture as it will not only dry your skin but can damage the tissue in freshly healing fistula.
    Add 3 or 4 drops of tea tree oil to the soaks and once your nipples are dry you can add one drop to each side of the piercing but do not add more than that, you must not add it straight into the fistula either. Just add the TT oil to the area slightly away from the fistula and gently spread it, that should stop the skin drying out.
    Please do feel free to contact me again if this doesn't work after about a week or if you have any other questions.