1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!

Help with changinging Dermal top

Discussion in 'How To' started by FunkyNix, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FunkyNix New Member

Message Count:
    Help with changing Dermal top

I am hanging out to put my new dermal tops purchased from PP :mrgreen:
    Took it to my piercers to show me how to do it, but when she went to clamp the shaft, I freakn nearly went through the roof! The tool was pinching my skin, no matter how careful she was we couldnt get the tool under, without hurting.

Suggestions please, on what to do, cant wait for my new sparkly's!!
  2. FunkyNix New Member

Message Count:
    Just noticed I also have a small red lump under the dermal top, the bottom part of the piercing. I think that must have happened after our attemp at changing as I havnt noticed it before.
  3. xXJarredXx Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Perhaps irritation from the clamp. Maybe you could try finding a bigger width for the clamps? I'm not sure, I've never used clamps, I always used my fingers on my piercings.
  4. FunkyNix New Member

Message Count:
    Is it easy enough to use fingers with dermals? Happy to try.
  5. SuhkotosWolf Member

Message Count:
    Its really not that easy to use your fingers on a dermal peircing to change the heads depending on the size. Painful pleasures has a super thin clamp for a reason ;) How long have you even had it? The reason why i ask is because of the red lump you described.
  6. Brinhinna New Member

Message Count:
  7. FunkyNix New Member

Message Count:
    Hey :)
    I have had it in for 10 weeks now... and its not red anymore but def raised, could be scare tissue??? I do have the tool purchsed from PP, but the lump is very tender when I have tried to use it, It must have been then also when the piercer tried with her tool now that I think about it, and that is what was tender when she attempted the change over, she suggested I pull the dermal up every now and them to provide more of a gap between my skin and the dermal, and to wait a few more weeks? Your thoughts?
  8. xXJarredXx Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Give it a little more time and see if it doesn't go down. It could be irritation from the clamps and the moving of the dermal. It's possible it could be scar tissue, but I don't normally hear of scar tissue hurting like what you've described. Perhaps someone else can give more insight.
  9. stravisk New Member

Message Count:
    Well from my experience, if you have a lump on one side of your dermal, it is on its way to rejecting. I have had 6 reject on me and all of them started out that way. . . I've yet to find a good way to stop the rejection, its best to just keep it clean and remove the anchor as soon as you can see one edge poking out. Sorry for the bad news.

Also, pulling up on your dermal will only increase its chances of rejection. A big no no.

As for changing the top, start by soaking the piercing with saline solution to soften any crusties that may have gotten into the threadings. Taking a hot shower right before attempting will work as well. I've found it virtually impossible to hold the anchor shaft with any tool while changing the top. Use some hemostats and grab the top that is currenty on. With your other hand, if you can, firmly pinch the skin around the anchor and try to hold the anchor in place while turning the hemostats counter clockwise. There may be some pain involved in doing this, but I've found it to be the most effective way. Take your time turning the hemostats, and if it is pretty painful, you can pinch the skin and anchor harder and try to use a quick turning motion with your hemostats. That should work!
  10. xXJarredXx Super Moderator

Message Count:
    No, fingers for a dermal are probably not easy, I've never had a dermal done.

Thank you for your input Stravisk, it is much appreciated. As this is your first post, why not head over to the introduction area, and let us know a little bit about yourself, then take a quick peek at the rules thread. :D
  11. FunkyNix New Member

Message Count:
    Cheers guys! I hope its not rejecting, but if it is.. Oh well! I have had a good acceptance with my skin divers, no probs at all, even after popping one out accidently and pushing it back in :)

Fingers crossed!
  12. xXJarredXx Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Even if it is, you can always re-pierce it! :D
    1 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.