1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

I cant remove my jewelry?! help

Discussion in 'Taking Care of Jewelry' started by nihaoskyelan, Jan 14, 2017.

1. nihaoskyelan

nihaoskyelan New Member

Yes. the title is true. i had my tongue web pierced maybe 3 or four years ago. i went to the original piercer to change the jewelry and he couldnt take it off because it was too tight. "no biggie" i thought "i dont NEED it changed". well here i am years later and ive started developing a bit of plaque on this jewelry and its now urgent that i get it out and clean it. i recently went to a piercer to get my tongue pierced here in china and asked her to remove it while i was there but she couldnt remove it either!! two professional piercers and also myself have tried to remove the jewelry but it wont budge. what can be done about this? any help and advice would be appreciated.

2. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

If you aren't too worried about the jewelry 2 sets of pliers should do it. You may snap the threads, but it will be off. If you prefer to try and save the jewelry, fold over some paper towels a few times and wrap it around the ball ends before grabbing them with the pliers. Should the jewelry snap you may need to file/sand down any burr on the end so you don't injure yourself when you pull the stud through.

3. Rainbird

Rainbird The Pierced Godmother Staff Member

Possibly the plaque is making it more difficult to move and the dental technician may be able to clean the jewelry to help release it. But you don't have many options. Using pliers might work and are probably your best option.
    I doubt you will be able to do this yourself as you need one holding the bottom and another on the ball.
    I think you need to return to the piercer and discuss how to go about this in advance so they can make sure they have all the right equipment sterilized and ready.
    If it breaks I doubt there will be enough bar left to file it down and you may just have to bite the bullet, cover the rough end in vaseline and pull it back through.
    Good luck.

4. nihaoskyelan

nihaoskyelan New Member

ok so youre saying a piercer should be able to do this with the pliers? if i can do it myself or with a friend can you give me more details on how to snap the jewelry with the pliers? i am not worried about saving the jewelry. i have other jewelry i can put in.

5. Rainbird

You say that it is now urgent that the jewellery is removed. Can I ask why before we continue with this?
    If you are unwilling to go to a professional piercer or a dental technician for help along the lines I have already suggested
    I'd like as much information as possible before I suggest anything further.

6. nihaoskyelan

nihaoskyelan New Member

well i guess its only urgent because its gross that i have all this plaque build up on a ring in my mouth. i can only clean so much of it off. its unsanitary. i dont have a piercer in my city, its a train ride half the country away. also im not sure about dentists in china. i mean for heavens sake they let their childrens teeth rot and have cavities because they still have their baby teeth and theyre gonna fall out anyways so to me, chinese dentists dont seem very trust worthy. i wont be back in america until july. i just really want this nasty thing out of my mouth.

7. dnd4evr

Do you have any friends you trust? Get some new pliers, soak the ends in alcohol and have them carefully try to unscrew it. There may be a tendency for them to slip so they need to be careful.

If this seems scary, good. It is. You could try a hospital. They should be able to do it safely.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  8. Rainbird

So you have a ring ( a cbr) through your tongue web, is that right?
    For some reason I thought that you were talking about a straight bar.
    Removing a ring is a whole different procedure to getting a bar out.
    Please confirm.
    I am anxious that we give you as much help as we can given your isolated position,
    but the tongue is a delicate thing.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  9. nihaoskyelan

nihaoskyelan New Member

im sorry ring wasnt the right terminology. its a "bent barbell" i guess. the kind thats often used for eyebrow piercings.

10. dnd4evr

Two pairs of pliers then. Two sets with a curved section would work well. That way they are less likely to slip off of the ball and pinch your tongue.

[​IMG]
    A pair like the slip-joint pair in the middle should do the trick.

nihaoskyelan likes this.