1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!

if i get my nose pierced on the right does that mean that im gay?

Discussion in 'General Body Piercing' started by rapgirl0269, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rapgirl0269 New Member

Message Count:
    ? i hear that all the time is it tru?
  2. SheepKaboom New Member

Message Count:
    The question is written so that there are two ways of answering it.

First of all, having your nose pierced on the right side does not "make" you gay.  You're gay, or you're not, regardless of what piercing you have where.  It's not a switch that all of a sudden makes you lust after the same sex you are.

Secondly, well, if you hear it "all the time," then obviously it's true for whoever tells you that.  That does not mean that it is a blanket statement.  For example, in the towns where I've lived, there's no distinction whatsoever between sides of one's nose beside aesthetics.

For a long time, where I come from, a pierced right earlobe signified homosexuality and a left pierced earlobe indicated heterosexuality.  However, it was the exact opposite in other places.  Nowadays people seem to pierce whatever where ever, and placement of piercings have nothing to do with indication of sexual orientation.
  3. RoguePhoenix New Member

Message Count:
    I am so totally not trying to be mean but I really do wonder....

Do you honestly beleive that if you go and get a little piece of metal inserted into your nostril that you will walk out of that piercing shop with a different sexual preference than when you walked in? I only ask because it seems to answer itself and I am intrigued that someone would fear it.

Now, if it's just people's perceptions you are worried about...you have to decide whether you want to care what other people think of you based on completely superficial interaction with you. I, personally, could not care less about people that make judgements about me based on my appearance. In my book, that makes them the kind of person that I don't need to waste my time on.
  4. SecondaryBrooklyn_mod New Member

Message Count:
    Where I come from (very conservative town in Texas) as well as where I go to school (very liberal school in California), I've heard nothing about body piercings having anything to do with sexual preference. I used to hear about getting your right ear pierced signifying that you're gay, but that was in like 8th grade, 7 years ago for me. Honestly, I think that went out of style for ear piercings, and have NEVER heard these "signs" for body piercings. However, most people I know (both straight and gay) have their right nostril pierced, though in the Indian culture, most girls I know have their left nostril pierced. I guess it makes no difference.
  5. iamblackbird Little Miss Apocalypse

Message Count:
    Brooklyn, that trend for us stopped about a year after yours did!

Rapgirl-
    If you are really that concerned with it, I have to ask, why? Why get into modifications if you are that worried about people's perceptions of you? Becoming modified, in ANY way, only leads to more perceptions that are not always favorable.

On another note, there never really was a code in body piercing for females when it came to SUPPOSEDLY suggesting one's sexual preference.
  6. Illyria Jade_mod New Member

Message Count:
    Ditto what everybody else said, blah blah blah.

But, honestly, I agree with Bird.  If you're that worried what people think, I wouldn't suggest getting into body modification...like at all.  Even the most small piercing is going to offend *SOMEONE* and make some people treat you differently, as long as you keep that piercing, and tattoos forever.  You need to think carefully if this is really something you want to do.
  7. Kelt9 New Member

Message Count:
    Huh... Well if I ever get a nose piercing, it'll be on the right just because that's where I think it'll look best.  Who cares what others think of you?   If I were approached by a lesbian, I can always say 'thanks, but no thanks'... same as with a guy I'm not interested in.
  8. Illyria Jade_mod New Member

Message Count:
    Mine's on the left.  Just because that's where I've always wanted it.  Seriously, no girl would come on to you just because you have your nostril done on one side or the other.

Even when it was a "this side means your gay thing", for one it was only for ear lobes, and for two it was only for guys.  

And that trend went out with the 90's!!!  (Thankfully!)
  9. SheepKaboom New Member

Message Count:
    A gay friend of mine really misses the trend, actually; he loved having the clear signal of whom it was more okay to try to chat up.
  10. rjcleveland New Member

Message Count:
    i have my right nostril pierced, and i am a straight male. the only reason i did it on the right is because i had my left eyebrow pierced and wanted a sense of balance. if these things were true alot of people with facial piercings would have it all on one side. a stupid trend from when i was a little kid. like 10 years ago is last i heard of it.
  11. iamblackbird Little Miss Apocalypse

Message Count:
    Boom-

Around here, there's still the stigma attached to the left/right side debate...but it's not nearly 'clear' by any stretch of the imagination.

I think that there are ways of telling whether or not a person is gay, if he or she really wants others to know. After a time, a piercing becomes so mainstream that there has to be another way...like what happened with the rainbows. Sooner or later, one thing is phased out, then another thing phased in.
  12. maandusa New Member

Message Count:
    i just got my right nostril pierced, and it had nothing to do with sexual preference (if that were the case, i suppose a septum would have been more appropriate, since i'm bisexual!  :wink: ) i had the right side done mostly because i have more earrings in my left ear than in my right, so i wanted more of a balance. i also know that most Indian women have their left nostril pierced, and it is a part of their culture/religion, so i avoided the left nostril partially out of respect for that culture.

i DO remember the days when a pierced right ear was supposedy indicative of a guy being gay. that was over 10 years ago, though, and ear piercing on men wasn't as mainstream as it is now, either. of course, these days, people of all genders and sexual preferences pierce all sorts of body parts for many reasons -- including noses.
  13. Illyria Jade_mod New Member

Message Count:
    I think Bird has been living under a rock, since I live in the same area and the whole "left side/right side" thing was out of style before I graduated high school, and was completely GONE by the time I was in college.
  14. iamblackbird Little Miss Apocalypse

Message Count:
    No, see, I went to a Catholic school....not a rock! ;)
  15. Illyria Jade_mod New Member

Message Count:
    Yes, well, that comes with it's own set of ...complications.
  16. iamblackbird Little Miss Apocalypse

Message Count:
  17. Illyria Jade_mod New Member

Message Count:
    hehehhehehehehehe
  18. R B New Member

Message Count:
    at the end of the day, the only people who would know of these strange "rules" is... US... we are the people who get piercings.
    the people who splurt out things about sexual orientation dues to which side u get pierced... usualy have no piercings, or know nothing about the history or culture of body modification. once you explore, and find out a little more you will realise it is purly personal preference

the only thing that makes me decide where to get something is for symetry reasons, or for sleeping resons. or anatomical reasons i wouldnt think twice about piercing left, or right sides.

its not really a bad thing that these roumours go around. its just another happy urban myth!

good topic !
    RB
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.