1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Please Share your Tattoo Experiences!

Discussion in 'Never Been Inked' started by Illyria Jade_mod, Feb 10, 2005.

1. walterw_mod

walterw_mod New Member

OK first I'll get your questions out of the way then tell you what happened.

• Where is your tattoo located?
    It frames my navel.
    • How were you inked? (professional or DIY)
    Pro- done by Danielle at Artistic Skin Art in Midland Western Australia.
    • How large was your tattoo?
    About 3.5 inches in diameter.
    • How painful was your tattoo experience?
    Didn't feel the first half while the worst spot felt a bit like dragging a needle through the skin which I didn't find all that bothersome.
    • How long was it painful after tattooing?
    A small bit of the outlining was the only bit I noticed with no pain afterwards.
    • How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)?
    There have been no bleeding, crusties or any other noticeable signs of skin damage.
    • Did you have any problems, like ink allergy, clothing rubbing, etc?
    Not a sign of anything other than pretty colours and it has been 10 days.
    • Does your tattoo affect you differently than it did prior to getting it (get comments, do you regret it, etc)?
    This first one has been fine with my wife seemingly loving it. She tells everyone about it and the feedback has all been glowing.

Now from start to finish here is what happened so far.

I have thought about getting one or more tattoos since 1972. That is when some surgeons made a dogs breakfast of my lower torso to hastily fix a ****up they'd made. I had another run in with these masters of the knife in 2000. End score, me nothing, them 26" of scarification. This is why I keep to piercings and now tattoos.

So I seriously wanted some feeling of control over my body and a sense that what I did made me more of a happy camper. I started with piercing, both nipples then four in each ear and finally a navel that failed.

At last I wanted to get those tattoos I dreamed of. I found a great way to stimulate ideas is looking up images with google. Don't use tattoo in your search, as it will more than likely limit your ideas.

So I found a great picture for my star sign and am really keen to have it. But my wife just doesn't like it and it is bigger and more complicated than something I would want as my first piece. Then I looked some more and came up with the truly terse version of my favourite quote "To thine own self be true". Of course I am talking about Popeye's "I YAM WHAT I YAM". I even found a drawing of Popeye in his WWII gear as a U.S. Navy sailor. This is the same uniform my father wore when I was born! Again a must have, but still too complicated/large.

Finally I started looking at all sorts of suns and moons in various stylised forms. Then I fell in love with a crescent moon made of ocean waves. This brings together my love of astronomy and the link between the moon and tides and my dad's time at sea. Even more it was shown as a frame around a navel. This finally pinned down where my first tat would go.

An aside here as to why I was so keen to mark my navel. When I went to get my navel pierced my piercer, Leesa, wasn't sure where my navel was, even though she does LOTS of navels. See my avatar!

The other tattoos I have planned are definitely going to happen but I still haven't chosen a home for them on my body. So I know what I want but not where.

As for this first tattoo - the artist, Danielle, was recommended to me by Leesa as they both work in the same shop. There are probably half a dozen tattooists working there.

There was a one week delay when I went in with a bad 'flu and she refused to do it until my immune system had time to recover saying that the tat wouldn't heal well otherwise. The next Friday I arrived promptly and she setup and got going. BTW I was warned by a couple of people not to have my first tat on my stomach, as it is a sensitive area. One good thing about the surgeries is that the left side of my stomach has a horizontal scar all the way around to near my backbone and most of the nerves are dead that side of my navel. :( So the first half of the job I didn't feel much.

The worse, which wasn't much, was doing the bits between my navel and the vertical scar where as I've said it felt a bit like someone dragging a needle through the skin. I assure you this is nothing compared to having a 14g needle through each nipple! Hell I've had a 2x4 stuck to my foot by a large nail and that only ****ed me off.

I loved this tat even before I had it done and it is just great. The only thing changed from the original artwork I'd found in google is that I changed the colour from a purpley one to turquoise.

The job took one hour from go to woe. She stuck a large piece of clear plastic cling wrap over it with a couple pieces of tape and said to take it off in an hour. I took two hours before I got it off and then used Bepanthen Antiseptic Cream by Bayer as I was told. Not a drop of blood, scab or irritation unless I accidentally dragged something across it. The only thing to show that something had happened, other than the colour, was two or three skin splinters where small slivers of skin must have been severed at the base and surrounded by ink so that they couldn't remain a part of me and got slowly extruded until they came away completely.

The only down side I can see so far to more tats is the price which was about $200 US ($250AUS). I am a retiree so money is rather tight so a thousand buck or more for something big will take time to save up.

All the best.

2. k_rose21

k_rose21 New Member

I know its been awhile since someone posted on this thread, but I couldn't help myself. I <3 my tats! I am 20 & got my first 2 tats last fall. I definitely plan on getting more, but I am still in the process of figuring out what I want. I'm more of a math/science person than an artist, so I worked pretty closely with my tattoo artist to figure out a design that I wanted for the first 2. I'm going to have to do the same for the next tats because I want to love them as much as the ones I already have! I've had them for 5-6 months now and I still make excuses throughout the day to check em out in the mirror :)
    One thing is for sure, its true that tattoos can become an addiction. I had my second one scheduled about 2 wks after my first one. Anyways, hope someone finds this interesting :)

• Where is your tattoo located? My first tattoo says "Just Breathe" and is located on my left hip area. The second one is a purple flower w some fancy lines. It takes up most of my right side. You can see it in my avatar. I'm thrilled with the first tat, but I'm totally in love with this one! It is soo me.
    • How were you inked? At a local tat shop. My artist has a great rep and I won't go to anyone else now. Not only is he great at what he does, but he is very personable.
    • How large was your tattoo? I need to post pics of the first one. Its alot smaller than the second. Its about the length of my middle finger, so a few inches. As you can see from my avatar, my rib piece starts below my belt line a little and stops right below my arm pit.
    • How painful was your tattoo experience? I actually think my industrial ear piercing was more painful than my tats. However, it was much quicker. I was very nervous about the pain factor for my first tattoo, but it wasnt too bad. I feel like after awhile the pain starts to feel good. The vibrations and hum of the gun thing they use actually becomes relaxing to me. Its hard to explain. One of my friends tried to talk me out of the rib piece because she thought it would be too painful to me. (I have a very low pain tolerance). Before I went to get it I just told myself it would hurt but I would just have to deal with it, and I think that attitude helped a little. Most people say ribs hurt like hell to get tattooed on but I actually think it hurt more when he was doing the lower portion by my hip bone. Regardless of any pain, the feeling you have right after you get that amazing new tattoo is completely worth it.
    • How long was it painful after tattooing? Maybe a few weeks. I dont really remember so it must have not been too bad.
    • How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)? I started going to the tanning bed exactly 4 weeks after getting each tattoo. At that point I considered it all healed up.
    • Did you have any problems, like ink allergy, clothing rubbing, etc? With my first tattoo, I didnt have any complications. The after care was pretty simple; I used nonscented lotion a few times a day. I kept a bandage over it for 3-4 days so it wouldnt rub on my jeans. For my second tattoo the after care was a little more of a pain in the ***, perhaps because it was bigger. I didn't cover it up with a bandage or anything but that didnt cause problems. The thing was I couldnt use nonscented lotion like I did the first one because it would sting - ALOT. Instead I used A&D ointment. I ended up using too much A&D ointment and giving myself a little red rash (looked like a heat rash to me with little red bumps). My advice to anyone who has after care problems in the future is to talk to your tattoo artist. I kept putting it off because I was afraid he would be mad at me if it was infected (a little silly, I know). When I finally did go see him I was convinced it was infected and was planning on going to the doctor. He told me to stop using any type of ointment on it for a few days and see if that helped. It did, and I didnt have to go see the doc :) Talking with the artist also put my mind to ease, and I really wish I had done it sooner.
    • Does your tattoo affect you differently than it did prior to getting it (get comments, do you regret it, etc)? I have nothing but positive feelings towards my tattoos. Most people love them. I get some questions on the 'Just Breathe' quote. I had anxiety issues when I was younger, and I am a student respiratory therapist so it suits me in more ways than one. I still use deep breathing techniques to relax from time to time. I get lots of "ooooh"s and "ahhh"s over the second, larger piece. My parents, who are very traditional, were not too thrilled at first but now my mom will admit they are cute. Neither one is visible when I have my shirt on so I haven't had to deal with tattoos and employers. I thought about getting a hand or wrist tat but most hospitals dont like visible tattoos. I still might get a small wrist tattoo that be covered by a watch and/or bracelets, time will tell :) Hope you enjoyed reading this.

3. darkcrow343

darkcrow343 Member

I have 5 tattoos, one on my left arm, one on my right, one on my left leg, one on my right shoulder blade and one on my spine.

All my tattoos were done professionally and only took max 2 weeks to heal 100% the only bit of pain I really felt was the tail of my dragon on the bottom of my left leg.

there are pics of all my tattoos on my profile, feel free to view them and comment.

4. • Where is your tattoo located?
    leg
    • How were you inked? (professional or DIY)
    did it myself
    • How large was your tattoo?
    small about 1 1/2 inch
    • How painful was your tattoo experience?
    not to bad
    • How long was it painful after tattooing?
    3 days
    • How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)?
    3 or 4 days
    • Did you have any problems, like ink allergy, clothing rubbing, etc?
    ink started to come out
    • Does your tattoo affect you differently than it did prior to getting it (get comments, do you regret it, etc)?
    my bf says its ugly and always makes fun of it...:( my mom yells at me everytime she sees it ( cuz its ugly)....i hate people seeing it cuz it sucks (first tattoo i ever did on actual skin):(

it is only have visible and scarred bad i hate it

5. Angel on the Edge

Angel on the Edge Administrator Staff Member

Sorry to hear that, Dub. Maybe someday you can do tattoo removal or get an awesome cover-up. Why not ask your brother to help you?

6. i'll ask him to try a cover up i never thought about it...... i pondered covering up my tattoo myself but i was scared i would mess it up. i've done other tattoos on myself that turned out great just not that one....lol

7. Angel on the Edge

If your brother's a licensed artist, you should definitely have him do a cover-up for you. And if you're interested in tattooing, you should get some practice skin and stop using yourself as a practice canvas. Just my 2 cents...

pidjones likes this.
  8. haha yea my brother got me some practice skin.... now that im a good artist i use myself ...lol i appreciate your 2 cents lol...every little bit helps :p

9. Angel on the Edge

Whatever works for you!

10. haha yea i use the practice skin before i do a tat if it has been a while ....so i can practice a few week ago i did a tattoo on the inside of my arm .... i did a cool diamond with epic shading around it and a ribbon that says perfect and the diamond is acting as a prism and a rainbow is coming through it .....its beautiful and stands for have pride, because your perfect the way you are ....its great!!!:cool:

11. Angel on the Edge

Sounds awesome! Hope you'll share a photo in our Gallery. :)

All the Best,
    Laura

12. ill try ..... my computer is being dumb ... i already tried to post pictures of all my peircing and tats ....my computer is a butt tho lol:D

13. Angel on the Edge

Sorry to hear that! Hope you're able to upload some pics later.

If the problem is that you're not seeing the pics after uploading, it isn't your computer. I need to hop over to the Gallery and do some moderation there. All pics have to go through moderation. I'll do that now.

Laura

14. i dont think it's the site.....my computer won't let me do anything (when I want to do it)

15. QueenB1958

QueenB1958 New Member

- I have an outline of a dumbo rat on my left ankle
    - Professional
    - It's about one inches by three inches
    - It wasn't so bad.... But it did hurt pretty bad when she went over the same place on my heel over and over.
    - As soon as she was done it didn't hurt anymore. At all. That was nice because I'm used to getting piercings that throb for weeks after.
    - I just got it done a few days ago so I don't know how long it will take to heal
    - It doesn't really effect me yet, but that's because my family hasn't seen it yet ;-) I love it though, it's a memorial for my rat Dewey who recently died and I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out

16. Pin Sharp

Pin Sharp New Member

How were you inked? (professional or DIY) My first tattoos I made myself by using a simply needle: a 'smiley' on my right nipple, a star umd around the nipple and a compass on his right forearm. My other tattoos were made professional.

How large is your tattoo? The large dragontattoo on my chest, shoulder and upper arm is about 10 inches high and 12 inches wide. The Scorpio tattoo on my stomach is about 5 inches high and 6 inch wide. The small tattoo on my forearm is about 2 by 2 inches.

How painful was your tattoo experience? Tattooing my nipple and around this did really hurt. The other tattoos were not so painful, on scale from 1 to 10 I think between 3 and 5 on my chest, shoulder and arm and between 5 and 7 on my stomach.

How long it was painful after tattooing? My nipple burned a few days after tattooing like fire, the rest was some discomfort about a week.

How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)? About 2 weeks.

Did you have any problems, like ink allergy, clothing rubbing, etc? Clothing rubbing, especially on my nipple and on my stomach while wearing skintight clothing.

Does your tattoo affect you differently than it did prior to getting it (get comments, do you regret it, etc)? Yeah. Of course I don't regret it. I love to be inked and I love to show it. I 've got a lot of comments on my tattoos. Most are positive, but some people are irritated when they see me shirtless for the first time. Most of my friend know me only tattooed. I think, many like it, some hate it.

17. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! Please take a moment to tell us a bit more about yourself in the Introduce Yourself area. Also, please read the Rules of the Forum at your convenience.

The gallery is available for viewing or posting. Without a login you will be able to see non-mature content, but you will not be able to post there or view mature content.

If you have any questions about the forum or gallery, feel free to reach out to me or our other moderators, Angel on the Edge, Rainbird, Craftsman and xXJarredXx.

18. Aleexzandra

Aleexzandra New Member

I have only one tattoo yet, it's on my left shoulder. I drew the sketch myself, because I wanted the tattoo to be unique and I wanted it to be special for me.
    It containes two notes merged into Ing-Yang sign. Music and equilibrium)))
    The next one I plan on my back and it is going to be a treble clef.
    Or maybe something on my hips to make them look sexy :)

19. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! Please take a moment to tell us a bit more about yourself in the Introduce Yourself area. Also, please read the Rules of the Forum at your convenience.

The gallery is available for viewing or posting. Without a login you will be able to see non-mature content, but you will not be able to post there or view mature content.

If you have any questions about the forum or gallery, feel free to reach out to me or our other moderators, Angel on the Edge, Rainbird, Craftsman and xXJarredXx.