1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!

Stretching cartilage?

Discussion in 'All Things Stretched' started by xXJarredXx, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xXJarredXx Super Moderator

Message Count:
    One of my friends has a regular earring in the cartilage of the top of her ear. I think a regular earring is a 20-22G I'm not sure on that, so I came here. Also, she wants to gauge it some, I think if it's a regular earring, moving to a 16G wouldn't be too bad of a problem would it? Considering most of the 18G jewelry would mostly just be a pain to get in or out due to size. I pointed her to a 16G and am currently looking for a horseshoe barbell for it. CBR's are a pain in the posterior.
  2. Scooter --Mom--

Message Count:
    I think your friend will find that cartilage doesn't stretch. It should be redone at the larger size. A cartilage piercing is usually done in a size larger than the jewelry so that the skin can grow thru inside and protect the cartilage.

Better ask your piercer before going thru any agony.
  3. xXJarredXx Super Moderator

Message Count:
    She says she handles pain very well, and she just wants to get the 16g in, so I'm going to do it for her, yes wearing gloves and the like, since I did all mine, and I used to have 4g earlobes (Stretched those WAY too fast) I'm going to do it carefully, she has piercing pliers to help get the beads off. I actually bought the barbells off of here, titanium horseshoe barbells 16g. So, we'll get a pic, and I'll show all how it goes =P I'm not dismissing your advice, just trying to keep everyone content, yanno? Can't really please everyone all the time... =[ Your advice is appreciated Mom!

EDIT: I just told her your advice, and she agreed, we won't go any higher without scalpel cutting it, or getting a bigger needle to re-do it. Which I would most likely get from here as well! =P Someday, I might be a great body artist! (No, I won't do the scalpel cutting, that will be done professionally, but if she chooses to go under the needle, she'll most likely have me do it. I did my sister's helix, my sister's friend's helix, and my own back in the day, scalpels are best left to people who know how to use them!).
  4. Jameson13 Body Hacker

Message Count:
    Ok, I'm coming in on this one. I have both of my conch's between 6-4g. The piercing was done at 14g a while back. Cartilage does in fact stretch, just not easily. Between each stretch, you need to wait about 6 months. If you don't take your time, you can shatter the cartilage and cause your ear to collapse, which can only be remedied by transplanting cartilage from your ribs into your ear.

Never scalpel cartilage! Only dermal punch. If a piercer advises scalpeling, run far away! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
  5. Scooter --Mom--

Message Count:
    I stand corrected. I had always been told that it didn't stretch. I knew it needed to be dermal punched, or cookie cuttered as I like to call it.
  6. iamblackbird Little Miss Apocalypse

Message Count:
    Yep, it sure does! Mine was an 8g before I had to remove it (nephews and piercings aren't good together...), originally pierced at 14g. Fun times.

Oh...DON'T SKIP STRAIGHT TO A 16G.
  7. Gina_mod New Member

Message Count:
    my helix started out as a 0.8mm gunned piercing when i was 13, my helix is now a 1g (7mm) hole.

catilage can be stretched, but please dont skip sizes! :)

my other helix above it is a 10g, whereas before it started as a 16g.
  8. CianRyan New Member

Message Count:
    my mate has his top cartilage stretched to 6mm
    he justed used a plastic plug and wrapped electric tape around it to get it bigger

worked grand

EDIT
    every one saying dont skip sizes.
    yeah... really dont.
    i watched my mate skip 1mm (3-5) and he said it was really painful
    so dont be tempted

SORRY FOR THE GRAMMER IM INTOXICATED
    i did my best :)
  9. Jameson13 Body Hacker

Message Count:
    NEVER wrap in electrical tape! The adhesive is carcinogenic.
  10. Gina_mod New Member

Message Count:
    ive used tapers, and sometimes just lube and a plug!

tried tape, irritates my ears so much i gave up on it!
  11. CianRyan New Member

Message Count:
    :|
    thank you
    SOOOOO much
  12. little_pinkflowers New Member

Message Count:
    I clicked, and cringed but still want to ask... how much of a difference is there between 12 and 10g? as I want to stretch my conch so as not to waste all these beautiful glass plugs my piercer procured for me when I go to an 8g with my lobes.

I know that a hot shower, a lobe massage and some lube will help matters ALOT, but I don't want to do the stretch myself if it will be a "huge" difference...

Note: I've yet to notice a difference in gauges with my lobes because they are so old and stretchy.

Thanks!

and YES, NO ELECTRICAL TAPE! eeep!
  13. Jameson13 Body Hacker

Message Count:
    12 to 10 was nothing for me. A shower really does nothing for loosening cart. It always hurts a little bit.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.