1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

11 month old microdermal discoloration?

Discussion in 'Surface Piercings' started by annasparer, Mar 11, 2014.

1. annasparer

annasparer New Member

Hey all, I have 4 microdermals on my hips that I got almost a year ago and other than the occasional red/angry/tenderness that comes up every now and then, they have been pretty low drama. However, at one point the two on my right flared up and have since appeared to be ever so slightly raised, but not progressing and about an inch around them the skin is darker, like a bruise almost. (the pics make them look ted but they're really more of a brown) They aren't tender or swollen and don't appear to be migrating or rejecting. They aren't warm or oozing or anything. There's no redness around the posts either.But could they be rejecting? it's just that they've been this way for a few months, ever since the two flared up really bad. I would have thought rejection would occur faster.

Attached Files:

2. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! Please take a moment to tell us a bit more about yourself in the Introduce Yourself area. Also, please read the Rules of the Forum at your convenience.

The gallery is available for viewing or posting. Without a log in you will be able to see non-mature content, but you will not be able to post there or view mature content.

If you have any questions about the forum or gallery, feel free to reach out to me or our other moderators, Angel on the Edge, Rainbird, Craftsman and xXJarredXx.

Rejection/migration can occur at almost anytime. I had my frenum for a year before it started rejecting (sigh). Keep track of the post. If it seems to be sticking up higher or the surrounding tissue is moving away then you are likely developing a problem. Rinsing and flushing the area carefully when you clean is a good precaution. Any trapped soaps, oils or dirt will cause problems. Do not directly rub soap over the posts (a light wash should be ok).

The dark area may just be some trapped blood in the skin. A sign of some damage/trauma. My wife had some issues with her legs a few years ago and they constantly look dirty. She is currently using an oil with vitamin E and some other natural healing compounds that seem to be helping lighten the area. There are products on the market specifically designed to lighten dark spots.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  3. annasparer

annasparer New Member

Yeah, both of those microdermals snagged really badly. They never bled outwardly, but I can see how that would be the case. They seem to have gradually tilted a little and raised a little over the almost year I've had them but I'm always on the lookout for dramatic change. I know the hip area is a high-rejection rate so I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I will definitely try some dark spot stuff! and I have vit-E handy. That all makes sense! It was stumping me heh.

4. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

It sounds like the mystery is solved. Dermals are easy to snag (or so I have heard). If you consider another one in the future, I would choose a spot where snagging and bumping is less likely. I would also choose a fleshy area and not over a bony one.

5. annasparer

annasparer New Member

For sure. I know they tend to snag and that area tends to reject.. I suppose when I got them I got them with a mindset that was kinda like "I'll only have these for the summer" But they seem to be hanging in there. I don't think I would get them re-pierced when they do finally reject and my job prohibits visible body jewelry other than ears. But maybe one day I'll try other places! All the ones I like are problem areas though haha