1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

barbell types

Discussion in 'Surface Piercings' started by kaposhia_mod, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaposhia_mod

kaposhia_mod New Member

Since I'm getting the surface piercings soon (three weeks!), I was thinking about what kind of barbells to get. I've read a few articles saying always use 90 degree angles, never the obtuse angles. But then I've seen pictures of those with obtuse angles. Does it really matter? And could I get the flat disks instead of the balls, or do I have to wait for them to heal to get the disks?

2. shakah

shakah Guest

You need a surface bar, the one with 90 degrees angles. And yes, it does really matter. I don't see why the flat disks would a problem but if I were you I'd call the piercer and ask. Also he might not keep this kind of jewelry in stock all the time.

3. kaposhia_mod

kaposhia_mod New Member

I will call him in a week letting him know when I will come in. I will ask him if he already has the jewelry and which he prefers. That way, it will give him time to order it if he doesn't have it in stock. If it is not 90 degrees..I won't go there, ok!

4. shakah

shakah Guest

I kept thinking about this and with flat disks if the bar isn't 90 degree they wouldn't sit on the skin very well. There's probably one side that would kind of sink in a little and cause pressure. Are going to get pierced with a needle or use the dermal punch/taper method?

5. iamblackbird

iamblackbird Little Miss Apocalypse Staff Member

Surface bars, when put in certain locations, need to be bent to match the angle and curve of the body. Like, if you were getting a piercing on the top of your shoulder or something, then it would be bent, and the angles then obtuse. However, for other places, this is not necessary. It's all dependent upon the curve of the area that is being pierced.

6. shakah

shakah Guest

But for the breats, do you think he's going to need to curve it?

7. Illyria Jade_mod

Illyria Jade_mod New Member

probably not, but it depends on your body shape.

8. tomreid500

tomreid500 New Member

i think the best thing ... and probably  wot a piercer would use for most surface piercings is PTFE because it is flexible .... but i was thinkin bout this the other day isnt it the same as acrylic??? cos one of my friends has had her nape and wrist done at two different very reputable piercers and they both used PTFE

9. shakah

shakah Guest

PTFE and Acrylic aren't the same. PTFE can be autoclaved Acrylic can't. Also acrylic is porous and shouldn't be worn in unhealed piercings or for an extended period of time.

I guess there are different opinions on whether a PTFE bar or a surface is better. I discussed this with my piercer and he prefers to use surface bars because a PTFE bar, while it is flexible, is still a straight bar and therefore puts pressure on the piercing. He said PTFE is good for a curved area where the bar would exit at 90 degrees from both holes. I heard PTFE can be bent if it is put under heat and bent until it cools. I did that with the bar I have in my ear and it keeps coming back to it's orginal shape, a little curved. So I don't know if a 90 degrees angle (or any angle) would stay. Perhaps someone has more info on that.

edited for spelling.

10. tomreid500

tomreid500 New Member

thanx for the info bout the PTFE/Acrylic thing i was confused bout it ... but from lookin at my friends two surface piercings the PTFE bars arent straight their curved ...

11. shakah

shakah Guest

Curved like a navel barbell?

12. kaposhia_mod

kaposhia_mod New Member

I don't know the difference..maybe someone could fill me in. When I first got interested in surface piercings I talked to a piercer and he said to get PTFE. But like I said before, I am going to call my piercer ahead of time to discuss the details. And are sea salts about the same price at a studio as places like Walmart?

13. shakah

shakah Guest

From I understand, the piercer punch 2 holes and then kind of seperate the layers of the skin between both holes with a taper. I'll try to find some clear info and get back to you. I heard this method works well but most piercers use needles.

14. Illyria Jade_mod

Either method is fine, it depends on what you and your piercer prefer.

PTFE can be bent.  Whether you use a PTFE bent bar, or a surface bar, either one works.    Some piercers are more familiar with one or the other, or think that one works better than the other.  But it's up to you and your piercer to make the decision.  Each type of jewelry has it's own benefits.

15. kaposhia_mod

kaposhia_mod New Member

Ok, I called my piercer today; I'm getting them done next week because it's my spring break then. He uses steel 90 degree angle bars, but not disks. He said having balls instead of disks shouldn't be a problem. From my understanding, I don't need bent barbells because I have enough "shape".  :lol:  So it looks like I'm set to go. I'm so excited!!!
    [schild=11 fontcolor=191970 shadowcolor=FFFFFF shieldshadow=1]yay!![/schild]

16. shakah

shakah Guest

You'll post pics, right?

17. Illyria Jade_mod

congrats and happy piercings!

18. kaposhia_mod

kaposhia_mod New Member

Of course I'll post pics! I just had a little cold so I'm going to wait until the end of the week. My friend is going with me to get her tongue done, yay for her! and yay for me! :mrgreen:

19. iamblackbird

iamblackbird Little Miss Apocalypse Staff Member

Hurrah!

*does a happy-for-piercings dance*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.