1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Cattle branding

Discussion in 'Branding' started by thrilljack, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thrilljack

thrilljack New Member

I want to be branded the way a cattle would be branded. No sitting in a tattoo parlor, no sitting down and deciding on a design -- I want a branding iron pushed into my flesh.

The problem is that I don't have a clue how to get that. Tattoo parlors don't do anything like that. It seems like the best chance would be to do an amateur job at a farm with someone who brands cattle, but I'm concerned about the quality of the resulting scar, and safety.

Can anybody give me information on this type of branding? What type of people should I reach for getting it?

2. Rainbird

Rainbird The Pierced Godmother Staff Member

Hi thrilljack
    First let me WELCOME you to the forum. It's great to have new members here joining in. Please read the rules and have a poke around the gallery and the archives. There is a stack of information there.
    Why not wander down and write an introduce yourself post & tell us a bit more about yourself.
    If you tell us where you are living there may be someone on PP who knows of someone in your area who would be willing to brand you.
    There are some things to consider about cattle branding that make it (in my opinion) perhaps too extreme for branding human skin.
    The branding iron is designed to burn through animal hair and skin which is literally as thick as leather.
    They will be very heavy and quite crude.
    It is of course possible to sterilize them and nothing will live on the iron once it is heated up but the aftercare of a 1st degree burn of that size is going to be problematical and there will be serious pain.
    You haven't said where you wish to be branded but consider the positioning seriously because humans don't have as much flesh as cows. You must avoid all organs and major blood vessels & arteries.
    Good Luck.
    Let us know what you decide.

3. thrilljack

thrilljack New Member

You make some good points.

If it is in fact the case that cattle irons are too heavy duty, I suppose I'll have to work on getting a custom one.

I'm planning on finding a tattoo place that brands and ask them, starting from there.

If anybody finds out more details about what I would need to brand like this, or where to get the supplies for it, or what groups do it etc, then please let me know.

4. bone$

bone$ Member

well the problem with this is they don't brand cattle that way any more in the U.S. any way its all freeze branding, if you want to be branded with an iron you'll have to make a design of your own I think, you can go to a metal work shop an they canhook you up with the steel hell they'll prolly make your design for you

5. revs

revs ~Revs~

I have access to 2 branding irons. :) Both are the same design. One is electric and the other is heated in a fire. But, they are family brands. Dad had to register them every year to use them. I have thought of getting the particular design tattooed instead of branded. Simple design, but it reminds me of family. Grandpa designed the brand and used it until dad took over the farm. My way of keeping the brand alive for another generation.

I think I will go look at the irons this weekend and see about getting a tat done in the near future.

6. xXJarredXx

xXJarredXx El Duderino Staff Member

Cattle branding on human skin is something I would highly avoid. I don't know how familiar you are with cattle branding, everyone posting before me is very correct. Cowhide is several times thicker than human skin, and if you've ever seen a cow get a brand, even they will flinch away from that metal. Iron branding was something the Holy templar knights did to non believers waaaaay back in history. They would brand a cross into their chest with an iron brand (if you believe the stories).

Personally? If you want to measure the pain of an iron brand on your skin, try putting you're finger on a stove burner for about 3 seconds with it mid to high. (Branding is not a fast process, it's not a touch poof done, it has to be rocked sometimes to make sure it brands evenly.)

You take bravery up and beyond what I'd be willing to do, try not to jump if you can manage to get an iron brand!

7. revs

revs ~Revs~

Traditionally, when a cow was branded, typically before 6 months of age, the iron was set into a fire to heat. When the iron was red hot, a calf was roped and tied up so it couldn't move. Ever watch calf roping at the rodeos? When the tie three legs of the calf after roping it, that is what they would do prior to branding. After it was tied up, the guy running the branding iron would put one knee on the calf to help steady it then put the iron where the brand was going and hold it for up to 15 seconds.

Even though the calf was tied up and a man was trying to keep it still, the calf would jump around trying to get away. You can't imagine how much smoke could come from one brand. All the burning hair puts out a lot of smoke. I would not want to get branded myself. I have seen it done to animals first hand. I grew up on a small cattle farm.

You don't want to know how they castrate the young bulls.:shock:

On a side note, just a bit of information for all you that weren't raised around cattle. Where the brand is located on a cow can tell what member of the family owned that particular animal. For instance, if the brand was on the right hindquarters, it could be the father, the right shoulder, a son and the left hindquarters could be a brother or another son. Same brand, three different people.

8. Rainbird

Where the brand is located on a cow can tell what member of the family owned that particular animal. For instance, if the brand was on the right hindquarters, it could be the father, the right shoulder, a son and the left hindquarters could be a brother or another son. Same brand, three different people.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that about the positioning of the brand but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the information.

9. revs

revs ~Revs~

Yep. Something as simple as where the brand is located can tell you which person in the family owned it. Also, there is usually a tag put in one of the ears, also. Instead of position in the ears, it is just a different color/shape tag. If I can locate a tag, I will post pics. I think my dad still has a couple of his and maybe one of grandpa's. Just had their name and the town they lived in.

10. xXJarredXx

I've seen alot of this. Before I moved to Virginia back in Texas my father lived with a small herd of cows and longhorns

11. Rainbird

Thank you both.
    Funnily enough I lived in the middle of farm land (the farmer bought more land and sold off the 1st farm house) but he only used ear tags.
    These days I believe it is still the ear tag but they have their own 'passports' as well because of CJD.

12. mccurry

mccurry New Member

Branding

Are you totally crazy! Can you image taking a hot iron to your flesh. I can't image the pain or the smell.

13. xXJarredXx

I mostly see eartags Rainbird. I don't see so many branded cattle anymore, and even less since I live in the mountains now!

14. Rainbird

Hi usjewelleryand tattoo -
    I see that you have posted on every current topic with details of your studio.
    The correct place for reviews is under the thread dedicated to this and I have removed your inappropriate posts. You are welcome to make comments appropriate to each individual the thread but not to use this purely as an advertisment for your studio.
    Please read through the rules of the forum and abide by them.
    We welcome you here from Bangalore and look forward to your contributions to Painful.

15. Scooter

Scooter --Mom-- Staff Member

Just go ahead and delete the advertising posts RainBird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.