1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Checkup on belly?

Discussion in 'Navel Piercings' started by dinepine, Jan 5, 2017.

1. dinepine

dinepine New Member

Hey everyone! I am new here and also kind of new to the piercing world (although I love it and am planning on getting more soon). A bit more than a month ago, 29th of november, I got my belly button pierced. I kept the routine up, seasalt soaks in the first 2 weeks and cleaning every morning and evening. I am wondering a few things though. My belly still gets swollen easily, it feels like a thick soft cilinder around the jewlery, but only after I moved it too much. And there is a pinkish circle around both holes. And still some discharge in the form of slightly off-white pus. I wonder if this is still normal or if that should have stopped by now? I know it isn't really infected, it isn't painfull or itchy and not red, it looks more bruised. (see picture attachment) I am just quite panicky about rejection haha, would that show already if it is happening? The piece of skin in between hasn't gotten thinner yet as far as I know and there is still plenty of skin between both balls.
    Sorry for the long story I hope I explained myself well! Xx[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Rainbird

Rainbird The Pierced Godmother Staff Member

Hi dinepine,
    A belly piercing will take between 6 months and a year to complete full healing so you are really in the very early days so far.
    You should be doing sea sat soaks 2 or 3 times a day. (1/4 tsp of sea salt to a cup of boiled and cooled water). Do not use table salt.
    Use fresh soak each time. Use a shot glass or an egg cup to hold the soak over the piercing for at least 5 to 10 minutes.
    There is a small crustie but this looks fairly normal to me. After the soak you should be able to remove any remnants of the discharge using a cotton bud soaked in the sss. Do your soak after your shower and do not use any soap or shower gel to wash the piercing. They are all too harsh to use on what is essentially an open wound.
    The piercing looks straight but the bar looks too short to me. In the 2nd picture I can see that you are pushing the bar up from the bottom. Moving around or playing with the bar is a bad idea. You risk pulling bacteria into the fistula and causing an infection.
    You should return to your piercer and get a longer bar fitted. A short bar puts pressure on the skin and can cause various nasty problems including necrosis, trapping bacteria, migration etc.
    If you do these things the redness and swelling should substantially better in about 2 weeks.
    Let us know how you get on.

3. dinepine

dinepine New Member

Hi! Oh that is good to know I might check on that, or at least see if I can purchase a sterile longer bar. The jewlery that you see and I got pierced with is curved btw. Thank you for the advice! Yes and I am using seasalt and it helps a lot. Do you know at what stage there isn't any need to soak the piercing as often? Untill it's fully healed? ( I remember I used table salt at a first piercing I got, big mistake. Got quite irritated and is only now back to normal.)

4. Rainbird

After around 4 weeks you could probably drop back to a soak once a day. Try that for another 4 to 6 weeks. Then soak every other day for another 6 weeks. After that try once a week but if you see ANY discharge starting again re-instate the sss at 2 a day for a week. Repeat the process again. You may need t keep this up for 4 to 6 months and you may have to start again if you get the bar snagged even in a year of so. Rule of thumb is if you hurt it soak it.
    Good luck

5. dinepine

dinepine New Member

Thank you for your help! It is looking much better and happier already. The swelling has gone down now to.

6. Rainbird

I am very pleased for you that it is getting better now. Keep up the good work.