1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Dermals along spine...questions

Discussion in 'Surface Piercings' started by Lovesteel56, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Lovesteel56

Lovesteel56 Member

I saw a picture with a woman with 5 dermals going down her spine...it looked so elegant.

Is there any danger with having piercings near your spine? If you have long air could it irritate the piercings if its not up? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks!

2. xXJarredXx

xXJarredXx El Duderino Staff Member

Dermal along your spine is probably a "play" piercing. This means it is a temporary piercing, much like most corset piercings are. The spine is made to flex and bend, the metals are not. If you are looking into doing play piercings (I believe they are usually done in tandem with conventions or playing with partners or a group of like minded people) Then I would hazard a guess, yes your hair could cause problems with the piercings. If your hair were to get tangled or snagged on one of the barbells that could lead to some pretty intense pain.

Unfortunately I've never heard of or seen spinal piercings and I don't want to go giving you bad advice, so I'll let the others give you more advice on this :)

3. Lovesteel56

Lovesteel56 Member

So how are play piercings different than a dermal...I've never heard that term before. Does it just mean its not a true piercing? Thanks!

4. xXJarredXx

A play piercing is the same as a dermal essentially except it is temporary. Think of a play piercing like a band-aid. If you have a cut on your finger and place a band-aid on it, there is a good chance that it will fall off with normal excessive movement of that joint. They (play "temporary" piercings) are done in areas that have a lot of movement that could damage the pierced area. Imagine if you tried to bend over with a piece of jewelry in your back (On your spine no less) and said jewelry ripped itself out from the skin stretching taunt over your back.

I'm just giving you my thoughts on this, this should no way be interpreted as the truth or advice.

5. Lovesteel56

Lovesteel56 Member

I hear dermals are tricky, I wouldn't doubt what you're saying.
    Thanks for the insight!

6. Angel on the Edge

Angel on the Edge Administrator

My take on this is quite different than Jarred's... I'm still new to the body mod scene, but I thought play piercings were typically just done with fine needles and that no jewelry is actually inserted. I wouldn't consider a row of dermals alongside or over-top your spine play piercings in any sense. Dermals are pretty invasive. Have you seen one done before? If not, take a look at one of our piercers, Jason Coale, inserting one using a special tool he developed just for this purpose: .

I think dermals alongside the spine could be very elegant, especially if you had a row on each side. Based on the work of Russion body modification artist Arseniy Andersson, shown in the file I've attached here, it seems that dermals can be done overtop the spine, too. I'm not quite sure how, unless they're placed in between vertebrae in the fleshier areas. As long as you can get an anchor just below the skin, you can put a dermal just about anywhere. Our resident tattoo artist has a couple on his face in a not-so-fleshy area, so I think just about any area of the body's game when it comes to microdermals.

Don't make this decision lightly, though. Dermals tend to cause lasting scars, and some can be gnarly. Just something to mull over.

Laura

Attached Files:

7. Lovesteel56

Lovesteel56 Member

Laura, I really appreciate our post. I didn't even think of scarring and it would get worse with infection. I agree 100% that it would look so elegant on the spine, but I'm not sure the scarring is a chance I'm willing to take unless I get it done in an area that I would possibly get a tat in the future.
    Thank you so much!

8. xXJarredXx

Well there, you see :) It's a good thing I placed my little disclaimer in there. I didn't want to go giving bad advice, so I gave you my opinion on the matter.

Thank you Laura! :)

9. Angel on the Edge

My pleasure, guys!

Jarred, I hope you don't think I was bashing your input, because most of what you said about play piercings is spot on (temporary, often done with partners or groups of like-minded people, etc.). I just don't think dermals are the kind of thing you put in as a play piercing since they are rather invasive.

If either of you is interested in seeing what I consider play piercings based on what I've seen in the gallery, check out this page: http://bodypiercingpictures.painfulpleasures.com/galleries/body-playplay-piercings. Brace yourself; some of the pics are pretty gory if you don't have mature content turned off. Some are kind of cool, though, like these wings held in place with play piercing needles: http://bodypiercingpictures.painfulpleasures.com/content/wings-ii

Lovesteel56, have you ever removed a piercing to know how your body heals? I had my tongue pierced 2x in the same spot, and I have an awful amount of scar tissue under my tongue now. On the other hand, I know people who only had a pinprick-sized dot after a removed piercing healed. Everyone heals differently, and various parts of our bodies heal differently. You may end up with no or minimal scars if you ever removed the dermals from your neck, but who can say for sure? My husband tours the world with his band, and he says he regularly sees people with awful scars from removed dermals. That doesn't mean they heal badly for everyone, though; who knows how many people he's seen who had dermals and have no visible scars!

I didn't want to scare you away from trying this; I just want you to have as much info as possible so you can make an informed decision. If you have a piercer you trust, you should talk to him/her about what you're considering--see if s/he knows if the back of the neck is more likely to scar. If that's a place you'd consider getting a tattoo in future, if you tired of the dermals, then I'd say go for it even if scarring is a concern since the tattoo could cover the scars.

I don't think you'd be at high risk for infection if you did put a row of dermals on your neck as long as you apply a sea salt soak 2x/day during the healing process and are careful not to snag them. I doubt your hair would be a big issue, but you might need to wear it up for at least the first week or two to be safe, avoid turtlenecks, etc.

Let us know what you decide!

All the Best,
    Laura

10. Angel on the Edge

11. Lovesteel56

Lovesteel56 Member

Thanks! I heal very well, I pierced my earlobes multiple times in college and never got an infection, then years later I put the earrings back in and only one partially closed up.

I also thought dermals would look cute going up the back of the calf (maybe 3 per leg), but I wonder if the constant movement would irritate it too.

I think this is just a really tricky piercing, unless I see one in particular I'm dying to get I think I'll hold off for no lol

Thank you both so much!

12. Rainbird

Rainbird The Pierced Godmother Staff Member

Just a little extra here on play piercings.
    They range from inserting fine needles - as in the pictures from the gallery through the insertion of rings (typically to make a corset piercing) to the extreme of inserting hooks for total body suspension. These are all just degrees of what is accepted a play piercing and are all removed quite soon, within a few hours of the play session finishing. The point is not to let them heal into fistulas.
    When it comes to dermals and the spine I can only give you my personal opinion and that is that I wouldn't have them directly over my spinal column, I would consider them placed either side of the spine but not directly over the vertebrae.

13. xXJarredXx

I don't take it personally Laura :)

That's why I said it's just my thoughts and I wasn't giving any solid advice :)

14. patbodpierce

patbodpierce Member

I have ever had a dermal but they do sound interesting. The spinal one sounds kind of dangerous but would look awesome if done properly and with the right amount of care. I have enjoyed this thread - educational.

Rainbird thanks for the info -as usual really informative and caring.

Cheers

Pat

15. Lovesteel56

Lovesteel56 Member

Agree with Pat, this ended up being a really good one. Thanks!

16. Rainbird

Rainbird The Pierced Godmother Staff Member

Thank you Pat, I try :)

Just a PS regarding the dermals up the back of the calf.
    They would look amazing but I do think that you would have very little chance of keeping them long term
    and wearing tight jeans would probably be out off the question for at least 6 to 9 months. The risk of catching
    and or ripping or even traumatic removal is a very real in this location.

17. Lovesteel56

Lovesteel56 Member

That us true...I do wear tight jeans but they're usually flares...I don't look right in skinny jeans haha

18. Angel on the Edge

I'm glad we've had this conversation, because I've learned a lot, too! Rainbird, thanks for the additional info on play piercings. :)

I think some types of dermal tops would put you at higher risk for snagging than others. I've seen some gemstone tops that look embedded in the skin, with no part exposed enough to catch on anything. But then there are ones that stick up more that look like they'd be a constant catching hazard.

You can place a dermal pretty much anywhere you can pinch up the skin a bit, but if it's an area where the skin tends to spread--for instance, your thigh when you go from standing to sitting--it might not be a great idea to put a dermal there. Until it heals, the hole would be constantly gaping and closing, and the dermal anchor could move around. I spoke to someone who had one somewhere on her nether regions that moved, and the top was halfway under the surrounding skin; not good, especially if left long enough that it started healing up that way.

I like the idea of dermals, but I can't think of a single place on my body where I could comfortably put one, either because I'm worried about skin spreading or because I wouldn't want a visible scar. I actually think the back of the neck would be one of the few places I'd be comfortable having them, but I'll be more likely to get my tongue re-pierced before I get dermals. :p

Let us know if you do decide to take the plunge, Lovesteel!

Take care,
    Laura

19. patbodpierce

patbodpierce Member

Laura

Thanks. As you say this has been an really interesting discussion. My piercer has suggested a pubic dermal and it sounds interesting . I am considering it at the moment. I like the idea of the calf dermal as well. I think they would look fantastic especially in the evening.

20. Lovesteel56

Lovesteel56 Member

Laura, that's exactly what I was thinking.
    I'm definitely getting a second navel in the spring, I'll ask my piercer what she thinks and find out her experience with dermals.

Angel, that's my biggest concern, the moving around. Back of the neck would be awesome unless you have long hair that could snag (I do haha).

Like I said that's something I would see from my piercer.

Thanks for all of the input!