1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Going topless (microdermals)

Discussion in 'Surface Piercings' started by saladuck, Feb 5, 2014.

1. saladuck

saladuck New Member

I have 2 micro dermal piercings in my arms that are around 4 months old. Every night when I go to sleep I put bandages over them so they won't snag. Every morning I wake up and put on a sweater, I put bandages over them so they won't snag. When I go to work I put bandages over them so they won't snag. Its gotten so bad that I now have tan lines and wrinkled skin from where the sticky part is. All my problems can be solved if I could just remove the tops and put them back on at my leisure. Now, here's my question, if I go to my piercer and have her take off the tops for the first time (usually the hardest) can I freely and safely screw them back in myself regularly just tight enough so that they'll stay in but still loose enough that it won't require the jaws of life to remove them? Also would I have to worry about my skin absorbing the anchor? What about water getting into the hole/my skin?

I just want to keep the tops off for the majority of the time so I don't have to worry about snagging. At work, sleeping, working out etc and I just want to put them in on the weekends or when I feel like showing them off.

Also what can I do about wearing clothes over them and sleeping other than bandages?

2. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! Please take a moment to tell us a bit more about yourself in the Introduce Yourself area. Also, please read the Rules of the Forum at your convenience.

The gallery is available for viewing or posting. Without a log in you will be able to see non-mature content, but you will not be able to post there or view mature content.

If you have any questions about the forum or galler

I don't have any experience with micro dermals so I am going to let one of the other moderators (or perhaps other forum members) talk about them. In general what you are saying seems to make sense. If you have healed fully leaving the tops off shouldn't be an issue for things like getting wet. As to absorbing them that might happen if you have certain types of scarring (hypergranular or keyloid). If not, it should be fine provided the post sticks up to the surface of your skin.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  3. saladuck

saladuck New Member

Glad to join you guys. I just wanted some thoughts on the matter before I hike my way up to my piercer. Barring any holes in my idea I shouldn't see too many problems. Also yes the post stick up slightly from my skin and I've never had keloids or hyper scaring

4. dnd4evr

The only drawback I see is the possibility of your tops coming unscrewed from being looser than normal. BTW, PP sells tools for micro dermals.

5. saladuck

saladuck New Member

I'd see how that would be a problem, I don't know exactly how deep the threads go. I just wanted the first time to be done professionally and from there I can try to get it as tight as my fingers will allow without twisting the anchor underneath.

6. dnd4evr

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  7. saladuck

saladuck New Member

Thanks!

They are still semi new, the only real problem I have with them now that I've stopped wearing the bandages is that the left one feels a little tight/swollen when I bend my arm all the way. Now this has happened in the pass before usually ending with me bending my arm and lymphatic fluid coming out. I clean it and it goes away but comes back after a while. Can I attribute this to it still being new and healing or is it something else entirely?

8. sugarangel88

sugarangel88 New Member

Hi,

I have a microdermal on my belly button, it's been there for about 5 years but in the beginning I, like you, kept it covered.
    After a while I grew more confident and started leaving in uncovered (probably around 4/6 months) I woke up 1 morning to find the top had come off and disappeared! It took 4 days to find it and put it back in and the piercing was fine.
    I now change the top on mine regularly with the help of my partner. It's fairly easy to do.
    I have also left the top off sometimes, it's always been fine, if I'm leaving it out longer than 3/4 days I normally just screw the top on quickly one evening to make sure nothing closes or get in the hole.
    As regards to the swelling mine still does this very occasionally I get an egg cup fill it with salt water and give it a good soak. I keep doing this till the swelling has gone down.

I'm not a piercer but that's my experience hope it helps!

Hannah