1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

How does this work?

Discussion in 'Ideas for New Jewelry' started by gary-benson, Jun 25, 2013.

1. gary-benson

gary-benson New Member

2. Rainbird

Rainbird The Pierced Godmother Staff Member

That is a very good question Gary.
    Perhaps Laura can ask the designer for us.
    I think they look great and if curved bars could be used would be good in a custom
    tri-way belly piercing too.

3. Angel on the Edge

Angel on the Edge Administrator

That is a very good question. I talked to a coworker about it, and we may take a few of these multi-tap balls for a test drive later. Obviously it can be done, because someone put together those triangles for the picture. I would guess that you'd thread a barbell through your nipple, screw a multi-tap ball to each end, then make the point separately, attaching 2 straight barbells of equal length to the ball that will make the point of the triangle. If you didn't screw the bars in all the way, just loosely, then you could hold that V up to the barbell and balls already in your nipple, and turn just the rods to tighten both ends in place. Does that make sense? That's the only thing I can figure... As soon as I have time, I'll see if I can figure it out.

Laura

4. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

Here is what I think, but I am looking forward to hearing the real way. There is a main apex ball with 2 threaded holes. You screw the 2 straight bars into that ball. The other 2 balls have 1 threaded and 1 unthreaded hole each. Screw the balls onto the bars, but not all the way tight. Position the ends of the curved barbell against the holes and turn the towards each other trapping the curved barbell. An alternative is 1 ball has 1 hole that is not threaded and the curved bar has one threaded end. Getting everything to align properly has to be a big pain in the a...

mike likes this.
  5. gary-benson

gary-benson New Member

Aha. I assumed either all holes would be threaded or one of the balls/bars would be a left hand thread (Although that would be a PITA to manufacture).

6. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

True, a left handed might might, but only on one of the straight pieces. My idea could be wrong. we will have to wait and see what Laura comes up with.

7. Angel on the Edge

I'm pretty sure all the holes are threaded. I still haven't had a chance to look into this. Sorry! I'll see if I can today.

Laura

8. Angel on the Edge

Well guys, I played around with these parts a bit today, and it didn't go terribly well. Some of the balls have 3 holes, some have 2, most are threaded, but some are dimpled, and all of the holes are either positioned slightly differently from ball-to-ball or the threads are just different enough that they don't always line up where you need them to, making it very hard to make anything that involves more than 1 ball and a couple barbell shafts. The product detail page for the balls does say that the taps aren't all guaranteed to work right and that you should buy extra balls just in case. I didn't pull enough of the multi-hole balls, nor did I give this test a lot of time today, so there's still hope that I can figure out how to make something with these parts! Obviously it must work out sometimes, based on the pictures on the product detail page...

Tomorrow my co-worker will tackle this with me, and if we can figure it out, I'll make a little demo video and post it for you guys to see.

More to come...
    Laura

9. Rainbird

Rainbird The Pierced Godmother Staff Member

That would be great to see Laura. Thank you for researching this for us.

10. Angel on the Edge

No problem! Like I said, my test didn't go very well. I had hoped to try again with a co-worker who's more familiar with our body jewelry, but she's been busy. Hopefully we can give it another go sometime soon...

11. mike

mike Member

this is exactly what I thought. it would be the simplest from a manufacturing standpoint and the easiest way to assemble.

12. Angel on the Edge

That would make the most sense, but that's not how the balls were manufactured. Sorry to disappoint!

13. mike

mike Member

i think i will be buying some of these soon. it sounds like a challenge. i like Laura's idea of a video. if i can figure it out, i will make a video.

14. Angel on the Edge

Thanks, Mike! Make sure to get plenty as the description says, since all the balls vary slightly and you may find you can only use some. I took another stab at it and just couldn't figure out how to make something useful out of them, but I don't think it's impossible; you might have a better idea for how to use them and come up with something really cool!

If you order them off of our new website at https://store.painfulpleasures.com, you can save 20% on a Retail order or 12% on a Wholesaler or Distributor order using the codes below:
    ~ Retail: 20OFF4TESTING
    ~ Wholesaler: WHO-12OFF4TESTING
    ~ Distributor: DIS-12OFF4TESTING

Have fun, and let us know how you fare!

Thanks,
    Laura

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017