1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm slightly terrified...

Discussion in 'Surface Piercings' started by amandaloubelle, Mar 4, 2013.

1. amandaloubelle

amandaloubelle New Member

So I have been recently interested in getting micro dermal piercings done on my hips. I have a picture of what I want to get done attached. I have both my ears and belly button pierced and I got my belly button done 2 years ago. My belly button had a few struggles but overall healed very nicely. After researching a bit on the piercing, I am very conflicted. I do play a few contact sports and although my piercing should be healed before I enter my next sport, I am worried that it getting hit will cause some serious problems and am wondering if there is anything I could do while at practice r in a game that could protect and prevent that.

Of course, being the weak stomached person I am who easily gets light headed at even the sight of a needle, I am concerned about pain. I have researched the procedure but if anyone who has had a micro dermal piercing done could give me a really in depth detailed description of the procedure and tell me about the level of pain as well as ways to calm myself down in the process of it, I would be really grateful.

I am worried about rejection as well. Besides some odd bruising with my belly button that went away after some neosporin, I never had any issues that seemed to be outside of the natural healing process. I have heard of a high rejection rate with micro dermals and I am questioning if it is worth getting pierced if it is bound to be rejected.

Lastly I would like to know exactly how to properly care for micro dermals through out the entire healing process. I am trying to be really thorough with my research on this considering I don't want to get a piercing and regret it. I get anxious about these things very easily so any information you can give me would be wonderful! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! Please take a moment to tell us a bit more about yourself in the Introduce Yourself area. Also, please read the Rules of the Forum at your convenience. If you have any questions about the forum or gallery, feel free to reach out to me or our other moderators, Angel on the Edge, Rainbird and xXJarredXx.

In our battle against spammers, your first three posts will have to be manually approved as I've done here, then they will go live instantly after that.

It is great that you are taking the time to research. Planning and knowledge can be a big help in ensuring success. I am not personally experienced with microdermals though. I am sure one of the other moderators or members will come along soon and help out. Typically aftercare is similar for all piercings and should be followed regularly. Products like neosporin are not normally used in healing since they promote the external portion of the fistula to heal before the internal potentially trapping bacteria. Bruising is sub-dermal bleeding and not typically caused by an infection.

I have heard that microdermals are prone to being pulled out/rejected. Placement where it can be caught/rubbed will likely be a problem. I would stay away from high points of the body, over bone or near where your waist band will rub. Near the crease of the hip/pelvis as in the picture looks to be a good location.

Pain is something that can be affected by your state of mind. Be clear in your mind that you want the piercing and accept what comes with it. Breathing exercises much like lamaze can be helpful. Not focusing on the pain is important as well. Focus more on the result and how much you want it.

Good luck with your new piercings and let us know how you make out.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  3. Angel on the Edge

Angel on the Edge Administrator

Welcome to the community, Amanda! It's great that you're thinking this through carefully and doing your homework before taking the plunge.

You can see one of our piercers doing the procedure here:
    Painful Pleasures' own Jason Coale developed a tool that makes it much quicker to put in a microdermal; you may want to ask your piercer if s/he uses it, since it could make the procedure faster and less painful for you. (It can be found here: www.painfulpleasures.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=7402.)

You would probably be fine playing sports with microdermals in the area you're considering, especially if you'll have some down time for healing before you start your next season. If you're worried, you can cover them with a padded bandage the first couple times you play. Or try wearing a nice tight spandex cami/tank top under your jersey. I'd be more worried if you were considering getting them on your arms, hands or legs, but that's not the case.

My biggest concern with dermals is scarring, because they can (not always) leave gnarly scars when/if you ever take them out. Some people do reject them, but there are plenty of people who have no problems at all. Just take good care of them, apply sea salt solution 2x/day for the first few weeks (1/4 tsp. sea salt, not table salt, stirred into 1 cup of boiled-then-cooled water, applied with clean cotton balls), spritz them throughout the day with a product like Nature's Pure Defense to keep the skin around your piercing moisturized (it feels very soothing) while keeping your piercing clean, and don't apply soap, oils or balms like Neosporin to your new piercings while they're healing. You don't want to trap bacteria inside, which is what oils and creams can do.

As for your anxiety, I can totally relate. I'm a highly-anxious person, and needles freak me out, too. This might seem ridiculously basic, but don't look! I always look away, take nice long, slow, deep breaths (in through the nose, out through the mouth), and make sure I have someone with me whose hand I can squeeze when the time comes. ;-) You can try doing meditation beforehand, too. Sit quietly and fix your vision on a point a few feet ahead of you, but let your eyes become unfocused. Try not to think about anything specific; just focus on your breathing. Spend a few minutes taking nice slow, long, deep breaths, then start consciously relaxing your body from the top of your head down. Tense your shoulders, then relax them, tense your arms, then relax them, etc., moving down to your toes. By the end the increased oxygen from breathing deeply and the full-body relaxation exercise will have you feeling like you could float away. Try it at home, in a quiet room with dim lighting, and see how you feel afterwards. If it works for you, then before you go in to see your piercer, go through this exercise in the car or even the waiting room. You'll be amazed how the effects will last even once you start moving again.

If that's not enough to get you through the piercings, there are a couple other things you can try. There's an herbal remedy called Valerian root that's often used as a sleep aid. It's usually sold in the vitamin section at the drug store. You could try taking 1-2 of those an hour or 2 ahead of your appointment to help you relax. You can also ask your piercer if s/he sells lidocaine cream (very common in tattoo/piercing shops these days), buy some, and spread it on the area about 20 minutes before your piercing. Your piercer will have to wipe it away when prepping the area, but by then it should have absorbed some and mildly numbed the area.

I hope this info helps you in your decision-making process. Please let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll do my best to answer!

All the Best,
    Laura

4. skitcarter514

skitcarter514 New Member

Hey there!
    I just got my micro dermals done today (about 4 hours ago) so I figured I could at least weigh in on the pain aspect of everything. I got them on my chest closer to my shoulders and far enough where my bra strap wont bother them. I'm not going to lie and pretend that I didnt feel it AT ALL. There was a pinch or two. However, it was not at ALL as bad as I thought it would be. It was more uncomfortable than painful as I wasn't too fond of the part where the micro dermal was actually being placed. But it was not bad at all! Breathing (as mentioned above) really does help a lot. I took deep breaths in and deep breaths out and it was over before I knew it. Go for it! As far as your other questions I'm afraid I only have a researcher's knowledge as well. But I was told to keep my bandages on for a few days until the tissue stabilizes around them and do sea salt soaks and be REALLY careful. Good Luck!!!

5. dnd4evr

Wow Skit, you have really been bitten by the bug. Your 3rd piercing in less than 3 weeks. Damn, what's next?

Thanks for speaking up on what to expect from the experience and on controlling the pain. Hearing a first hand experience can be reassuring.

6. skitcarter514

skitcarter514 New Member

Yes, the bug bit me HARD lol. This is it for me for a long time until I get the "itch" again. But I like coming on here and adding to the many stories of experiences and such because I know reading them helped me A LOT. So I hope I can help someone out too : )

7. dnd4evr

That's what the forum and community is all about. I also like helping and making sure they have good information to base a decision on.

I am starting to feel a little itch as well. I have been thinking about getting my first tattoo and maybe a new piercing, but we will see.

8. Rainbird

Rainbird The Pierced Godmother Staff Member

Hi Amanda,
    There is some important information that I wanted to add here.
    Laura mentioned using Valerian but there are some contra-indications to consider here.
    You should NOT use Valerian if you suffer from diabetes, high blood pressure,
    are pregnant or are trying to become pregnant.

Stick with the lidocaine is my advice. It works to deaden the skin and is applied an hour or so before.

Please let us know how you get on.

9. Angel on the Edge

Angel on the Edge Administrator

Thanks for adding that note about Valerian root, Rainbird! I was just re-reading my earlier response and realized that may not be a good idea for some people. If anyone who reads this thread is interested in Valerian root, please speak to your doctor and/or pharmacist about contraindications and make sure you are a suitable candidate for that herbal remedy before you ever take it!

Skit, I'm glad you've found the forum helpful when deciding which new piercings to get, and it's a wonderful thing you're doing by contributing your own experiences. Thank you so much! I'm glad you're enjoying your new piercings. :)

All the Best,
    Laura

10. Rainbird

Rainbird The Pierced Godmother Staff Member

Glad to be of help.