1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by toadill, Jun 7, 2013.

1. toadill

toadill New Member

Hello everyone, my real name is James, I am 31 and I live in Harrisburg Pennsylvania area. I am currently in school finishing up my bachelors degree in Game Software Development. I have also studied many other areas in Computer Science such as Application Development, Web Development, and Computer Network Administration. As of now I am doing indie game development, Computer repair, and starting to focus on Web development since it is what the area I live in offers most job wise.
    Although I have studied programming since I was 15 I did not always work in computers. Before I started programming for a living I did mostly construction doing things like fire restoration(mainly roofing), I also did in-ground pool installation, and landscaping. I love the seasonal jobs! :)
    I may even continue to do this type of work just to stay in shape and enjoy the summer weather.

As far as piercings, I started with my tongue and my left ear twice then later got my right eyebrow, center labret, and two frenum steps all at once. I plan to add four more steps and a PA. I am currently stretching the my frenum steps. They started at 14G and are now at 12g, just did this today!
    I plan to go the whole way to 4g.

Tattoo's - I have two dragon tats, the tribal piece in my avatar and a double headed dragon on my left forearm. Dragons are my theme and would eventually like to be covered in dragons at least anywhere that can be covered, due to my work type.

Here is some of my latest game development

2. Angel on the Edge

Angel on the Edge Administrator

Welcome James! Thanks for telling us a bit more about yourself. My apologies for editing your post, but the game download link isn't something appropriate for our forum. We appreciate you sharing what you do with us, though.

All the Best,
    Laura

3. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

Computer work can be frustrating and rewarding. I have never been formally trained, but I do dabble a bit. I started back in the days of CPM and you modded the programs and systems with hex. Don't miss that at all.

4. toadill

toadill New Member

I will not post anymore executable content sorry about that. :(

5. toadill

toadill New Member

Yeah I never really used Hex to much but it is the best tool to use to reverse engineer programs. Wow CP/M that makes you a little bit older then me I suppose. I have done some ASM though X86 instruction set, and I know some Pascal as well.

I think the most boring language I have done so far was RPG on the AS/400 mainframe. It's a information systems type of programming.

6. dnd4evr

I approved your 3rd post. All future posts will go up immediately. Happy posting.

Back in the early days of Windows 3.1 the company I worked for had a lot of large important files in Lotus and they tended to keep them on floppies. Lotus vomits the instant there is any corruption in the file or has trouble reading the media. I learned to look at the content, figure out the cell headers and patch bad cells so the majority of the content could be read.

Once we had a flaky hard drive that would pass a sector test because if tried multiple times before failing, but wouldn't open because Lotus didn't allow retries. I copied the file over, figured out the FAT table and locked out the flaky sectors manually. I don't think the hard drives were over 100Mb at the time so I don't think I could do that today.

7. Angel on the Edge

Angel on the Edge Administrator

Thank you, James! I appreciate your understanding.
    Laura

8. xXJarredXx

xXJarredXx El Duderino Staff Member

Hey! I've been toying around with game development myself lately! Sorry for the late post, I've been very busy lately. Right now I'm just fiddling around with 3d modeling and I have the unity engine on my PC. Not too good at programming, but I do have a good knack at HTML and CSS. Not HTML 5 though sadly :)

9. dnd4evr

Impressive. The only 3D modeling I know is Solid Works, but that is an engineering tool. It sounds like yours is less nuts and bolts and more appearance and perhaps jointed modeling. I am betting you will pickup HTML5 easily enough since you already have a foundation. I can poke around in HTML, but writing raw code is a bit more than I care to take on.

10. xXJarredXx

Yeah! You could play with it to, it is a free program under the commons creative license. It is an open source project sort of like linux. It is called Blender 3D and it's very much more aesthetics for things like game design and such. You could do engineering work and CAD work in it, but it could get very convoluted since that isn't what it is really designed to do.

For game design it is amazing, it has box modeling, sculpting tools, and you can rig and animate your models in the same program all for free. You could google or youtube it to see some of the amazing things people can do with it :)

11. toadill

toadill New Member

Hello xXJarredXx, I agree Blender is a great program that is completely free. Another good modeling program is 3Ds Max or Maya. Other tools for game programming include Octane Engine(Bare bones game engine), Boost(Used for optimization), OpenMp(Used for multi-threaded processing), DirectX(Graphics and sound, Limited to Windows), OpenGL(Graphics), SDL(Windows/Linux), XNA(Xbox360), Linear Algebra(Matrix Math, Finding determinants of a Matrix, Multiplying, Transposing), Trigonometry(Very important for Matrix manipulations, Teaches common functions for 3D environment manipulations and goes hand in hand with Matrix math), Calculus(Logarithmic Functions are used for things like Experience bars, Finding limits, and use of Trig functions)

http://www.youtube.com/user/toadill

https://www.facebook.com/groups/105998202813496/
    Join the game programming group which is the link above.
    I have loads of code that I have been sharing for all of the things I just explained.

12. dnd4evr

We do seem to be a many talented lot. :p

13. xXJarredXx

I've really just scratched the surface of the modeling and haven't really used the Unity engine at all. I intend fully to develop my own small game some day, but for now it's just practice and modeling :)

DnD We certainly are, aren't we? :p

14. toadill

toadill New Member

15. xXJarredXx

I've been spending a lot of time on Youtube watching people do stuff to get the feel for it all. I really need to buy a tablet to make the most of sculpting in blender :p

16. dnd4evr

Wacom is considered the best. It is also pricey. We had one (serial) from years ago, but the cable finally died from my daughters constant use. In it's defense it held up well considering. We tried a cheaper one that fell apart fairly quickly. Then I found monoprice. I bought 2 (sale price). One for my daughter and one for her cousin (10 x 6 I think). They both love them and so far they have held up well. Here is a link to the tablet section of their site.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841

17. xXJarredXx

A friend of mine bought one from Panda or some other strange name I had never heard of. He has only used it a few times to doodle furries for people o_O

He offered to give it all to me for 60$.