1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Large gauge pear cbr with screw in ball

Discussion in 'Ideas for New Jewelry' started by kismuth, Jun 1, 2013.

1. kismuth

kismuth Guest

The biggest gauge pear cbr i've been able to find is a 10g but with a pop fit ball. I would love to see a 10g or even an 8g pear cbr with a screw in ball, maybe even better a pear cbr with a screw in ball on one side near the point of the pear. And even better still if it could be made available in different internal diameters and lengths.

2. Angel on the Edge

Angel on the Edge Administrator

Hi Kismuth,

Are you talking about tear drop CBRs that look like these?
    http://www.painfulpleasures.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=9659&cat=4&page=2
    Those are available in 8g and 6g currently, as well as smaller sizes like 14g.

The options for screw-on ball rings are unfortunately much more limited. We make the standard tear drop CBRs right here in our warehouse, but I don't think we're yet equipped to make any with screw-on balls. I'm sorry, wish I could help you out!

If you had something else in mind besides tear drop jewelry, please let me know.

All the Best,
    Laura

3. kismuth

kismuth Guest

It would be great to have a 10g or 8g tear drop with a screw in ball on the side that screws in towards the pointed end, in inner diameters varied frrom 8mm and up. Maybe I will post a pic in gallery to show the why of it...

4. Angel on the Edge

Ah, now I understand a bit better... I can talk to Jeremy Smith about making something custom for you, but I still don't completely understand how this would work. If the ball screws on, then there will be a gap. So you would want the ball to screw on just below the "point" of the tear drop rather than at the tip of it?

5. kismuth

kismuth Guest

when I thought about it, yes it would be better if the ball screwed into the end towards the rounded part. something like this. 20130607_122158.jpg

6. Angel on the Edge

I spoke to our resident jewelry artisan about this concept. Unfortunately he isn't setup to make threaded jewelry, as I thought. Your design idea is an interesting one. Don't give up on finding someone to make it for you! If we gain the capability any time in the near future, I'll definitely let you know first. :)

7. kismuth

kismuth Guest

Thank You very much...I hope to hear from you in the near future:)

8. Angel on the Edge

9. Angel on the Edge

10. kismuth

kismuth Guest

Thank you Laura:)

11. Angel on the Edge

Hey Kismuth, have you seen this? We now make pear-shaped CBRs with the option to have the bead on the side! Granted, it's not a screw-on ball, it's a captive bead, but still... I thought this might be just what you need, so I wanted to share. :) Hope you come back to visit sometime and see this!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  12. mike

mike Member

he wouldn't have to thread the end. why not just start with a straight bar that has excess length and cut the one end off. make the tight angular bend first. then make the round bend. if you wanted part of the ball removed (for a flat side or counterbore to line up with the unthreaded end), just mark where it is oriented when screwed all the way on. use another threaded bar as a mandrel to hold it to cut away whatever you need to. everything can be bent for a "fine tune" with soft pliers so that it lines up more perfectly.
    jeremy wouldn't have to make a thread doing it this way.

13. Angel on the Edge

Good idea, Mike! Actually, you could just start with a straight barbell that has a cone instead of a ball on one end, cut off the other threaded end, bend it into the pear shape as you described, and then angle the cut end as shown in Kismuth's drawing so that there's room to screw the cone on and off while still keeping the gap as narrow as possible. I think that would work better than a ball, but I'd have to actually handle the pieces to know for sure. Maybe the guys can try this idea sometime. Kismuth's not around anymore, so there's no rush--unless someone else is interested?

Thanks,
    Laura