1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Large gauge PTFE bars

Discussion in 'Ideas for New Jewelry' started by Craftsman, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Craftsman

Craftsman Member Staff Member

I see that 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 bars made of PTFE are available online. What's the chances of a barbell made from them?

2. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

It should be fairly easy to drill and tap for a standard ball end. I think I heard Laura talk about custom work possible. Tapping 2 holes (4 for a pair) should be fairly easy with a lathe and I am pretty sure I saw one when I got my tour.

3. Craftsman

Will that stuff stay bent if you heat it and hold it bent while it cools?

4. mike

mike Member

i would think it would stay bent if it was heated and held captive. not sure if it would spring back any or not as some plastics tend to warp as they cool.
    i'd be more than happy to drill and tap (or turn a thread on the outside if you were trying to match something externally threaded for some reason) one for you if you sent it to me. i would just need the piece it was meant to fit or know the specifics of the thread.

5. Craftsman

Would you have the capability to turn the diameter down smoothly and evenly? Would be nice to have 5 and 3g bars made from 1/4" stock.

6. dnd4evr

7. Craftsman

That was a very interesting read, thanks. I didn't know that it was so hard to work with.

8. dnd4evr

It's possible you may need a larger thread for ball ends so they don't strip. I have drilled and tapped the balls larger before (broke off the original damn small threads @#%). Mike should be able to help you decide if it needs it when he gets your parts.

9. Craftsman

I would use SS ball ends for the next larger gauge and use these bars for a between step. The thread pitch would be 4-40.

10. mike

mike Member

here are pics and yes, I know the ball on the bigger bar is elliptical, not round. it was deliberate.

bars 4.5mm and 5.75mm x 3/4" long shaft with 1/4" ball and .3"x .250" ellipse ends machined as 1 piece. 4-40 internal threads
    tapers are 1" long, each tapering 1.5mm in 3/4" with 4-40 external threads to mate them with the bars.
    http://bodypiercingpictures.painfulpleasures.com/content/ptfe-bars-1
    http://bodypiercingpictures.painfulpleasures.com/content/ptfe-bars-2
    http://bodypiercingpictures.painfulpleasures.com/content/ptfe-bars-3

11. dnd4evr

Nicely done.

12. Craftsman

Yes, very nicely done. Having 3 and 5(ish) gauges will make stretching to the next size easier.

13. Craftsman

Got them just now. They look kinda yellow in the picture, but are actually a matte white. Threads are snug but smooth. I like!

14. Craftsman

Thought I'd post a followup. My fistula did not react well to the PFTE for some reason and I had to take them out, drop back to the smaller gauge and do some aftercare. Can't explain why, but oh well. It was a good try. I had some 1/4" 316L bar stock left from my other experiment, so I took it to a local machine shop to lathe down to 3 and 5 gauge and tap to match my bar ends. One other issue I had was with using 4g balls with the 5g bar. The gap between the bar and the recess in the ball allowed the skin to try to creep between them. No good. I swapped to labret disk ends to eliminate that gap. They aren't countersunk and are just flush to the end of the bar. I'll try again in a month or two with the SS bars to give the fistula some time to recover.

15. prettyhandsum

prettyhandsum New Member

What is a really light jewelry for a pa that painful pleasures carries