1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Please Share your Surface Piercing Experiences!

Discussion in 'Surface Piercings' started by Illyria Jade_mod, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Illyria Jade_mod

Illyria Jade_mod New Member

The purpose of this thread is to share experiences so that other people can read it and get an idea of what to expect when getting a surface piercing!

Your post can be as long or short as you like, but please try to cover the following points when you post ::

• What kind of surface piercing did you get?
    • How were you pierced (gun, needle, professional, DIY, etc)
    • What gauge were you pierced at?
    • What jewelry were you pierced with?
    • How painful was your piercing experience?
    • How long was it painful after piercing?
    • How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)?
    • Did you have any problems, like tearing, migration, etc?
    • Does your pierced area affect you differently than it did prior to piercing (get comments, play with the jewelry, do you regret the piercing, etc)?

2. iamblackbird

iamblackbird Little Miss Apocalypse Staff Member

THIS WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED BY ICE17HOCKEY.

Okay I just spent an hour writing about my surface piercings and lost the whole thing... so this will be a bit shorter then my other one, GRRRR!!!! Basically I am going to talk about my surface piercings, using the questions that were posted on the sticky.

I will start off by explaining the surface piercings that I have. I have 12 surface piercings, my nape (1), a star (5), the start of my corset(4), and my belly button (2).

All of my piercings, even my ears have been done with needles and by a professional. I would never suggest DIY, its not very safe and you could hurt yourself by piercing through a nerve or any number of things which may cause permant damage. I would also never suggest a piercing gun, even with ears. When a hollow needle is used, it removes skin and flesh, which is then replaced by the jewelery. When a gun is used, it just forced the jewelery through the skin, sometimes causeing shock. Gun piercings may have a harder time healing as well. I hope you see where I am going with this.

All my surface piercings are done with a 14 gauge needle and jewelery however the lengths of the bars vary.

I will do my best to explain the pain I experienced with each piercing, however I may have a different experience then others because I do enjoy the feeling of being pierced, like and altered state of conciousness... and no I am never under the influence of drugs or alcohol with I get pierced, and I would highly suggest against that. I would say my most painful surface piercing was my nape because a lot of nerves in the next are stimulated when you get piercing, also it is my longest piercing, so it took a bit more for the needle to go through. My second most painful surface was the star, because the upper back is typically less fatty then some other places. Also because the 5 piercings are very close to one another, after the 2 or 3 the area becomes a bit swelled. The lower back and belly button were not painful at all because the area is very fatty, the needle seems to go through those areas pretty quickly as well.

The swelling lasted me about 2 days, the pain was totally gone after a week for my belly and neck, and two weeks after the corset and the star, most likely because there were more piercings done at once. I am a pretty quick healer (I also take really good care of my piercings) so I usually stop getting crusties after about 2 - 3 months. This will vary from person to person.

I have not really had any problems with my piercings, no tearing or migration. The only think I expearience, and you can see if you look at the picture of my star in the gallery, is that after the swelling and skin settled down, about a mm of 1 or 2 of the bars sticks out. This is probably because the piercings are so close and the skin was a bit swollen.

I always get comments about my piercings. I have heard everything from, "that's awesome" to "you're crazy." I can't tell you how many people have asked me if I want to hang from the cealing (I'm not knocking anyone who is into that but its just not my thing). I have never regreted a piercing. I love all 24 of my piercings now as much as I did when I got them.

I hope this was helpful (sorry for my poor spelling). If you have any comments or questions i would love to hear from you!

Leah

3. pinnacle130

pinnacle130 New Member

Ok! Since I am not smasrt enough to figure out how to put my pics on here. I'll tell you about my surface piercing. I have the web between my index and thumb done. it was done by a gun at 18g. Didnt hurt at all! Swelled like a balloon! Because we used a gun you use to do ears we used an earring. Two days later I inserted a 16g tounge ring. I have found one of the side effects to gauging here is the feeling of throwing up. It was really super hard to keep from getting infected too! It's now going on two 1/2 years all healed. And I have decied to stay at 18g. My reason is anything else is just too much. The plus side to having this area pierced is I can wear tounge.eyebrow,nipple ring and just about anything. So it give me more variety. But now I have learned there isnt much varieity in 18g. When I figure out how to put this pic on this site you'll have to check it out.

4. Buzz Kill

Buzz Kill New Member

• What kind of surface piercing did you get? Anti-eyebrow
    • How were you pierced (gun, needle, professional, DIY, etc) professionally with a needle
    • What gauge were you pierced at? 16g
    • What jewelry were you pierced with? surface barbell
    • How painful was your piercing experience? Not bad, a different sensation from all my others, but it wasn't bad
    • How long was it painful after piercing? The rest of the day
    • How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)? Won't heal
    • Did you have any problems, like tearing, migration, etc? It'll migrate eventuallu
    • Does your pierced area affect you differently than it did prior to piercing (get comments, play with the jewelry, do you regret the piercing, etc)? Everybody seems to love itm but I have to bed more careful sleeping and getting dressed

5. iamblackbird

• What kind of surface piercing did you get?  Play piercing, high sternum.
    • How were you pierced (gun, needle, professional, DIY, etc) Needle, baby!
    • What gauge were you pierced at? 14g
    • What jewelry were you pierced with?  We used a curved barbell, which wouldnt have healed, but it was only for temporary fun.
    • How painful was your piercing experience? Not as bad as I expected. Really, it was the itching that got to me.
    • How long was it painful after piercing? About 15 minutes.
    • How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)? NA
    • Did you have any problems, like tearing, migration, etc? I bent over backwards, and it pulled and began to bleed.
    • Does your pierced area affect you differently than it did prior to piercing (get comments, play with the jewelry, do you regret the piercing, etc)?  I adored it, and have since purchased a surface barbell to try to get me one to keep awhile longer.

6. brain3939

brain3939 New Member

how

Could some one explain that to me..    xx(

7. iamblackbird

Explain what?

8. tomreid500

tomreid500 New Member

What kind of surface piercing did you get? Nape
    • How were you pierced (gun, needle, professional, DIY, etc) Professional - Needle
    • What gauge were you pierced at? 14g
    • What jewelry were you pierced with? PTFE Bar
    • How painful was your piercing experience? Not at all
    • How long was it painful after piercing? N/A
    • How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)? It never got that far
    • Did you have any problems, like tearing, migration, etc? Migration started within about 2 weeks so in the end i took it out after a month or so because i didnt want a huge scar
    • Does your pierced area affect you differently than it did prior to piercing (get comments, play with the jewelry, do you regret the piercing, etc)? Theres alot of shocked screams from little girls walking behind you and alot of people gasp, mak comments etc but i didnt regret it, the only part I regretted was getting rid of it

9. evoke

evoke New Member

What kind of surface piercing did you get
    5 x nape piercing (3 to go)

How were you pierced (gun, needle, professional, DIY, etc)
    needle all the way (a surface piercing with a gun?? hmmm :p)

What gauge were you pierced at?
    14 i think lol

What jewelry were you pierced with?
    4 X 16mm surface bars 1 X 12mm surface bar

How painful was your piercing experience?
    not much at all tight clamp was a but annoying tho

How long was it painful after piercing?
    about 3 hours then no more pian

How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)?
    still healing but should be about 2-3 weeks (2 have no crusties and pain after a week)

Did you have any problems, like tearing, migration, etc?
    none that i have noticed so far

Does your pierced area affect you differently than it did prior to piercing (get comments,play with the jewelry, do you regret the piercing, etc)?
    not really neck has restrictive movment at the moment due to have 5 nape piercings in 8days causing very sore sholderblade muscles

[​IMG]

10. keroscene

keroscene New Member

i have many DIY s.p.'s.
    my latest is an anti-wrist surface bar, horizontal, that is healing niceless and was literally painless.  its an industrial bar that lays horizontal across my wrist, about an inch behind the bumps by your hand.  its great, and was done with a piercing needle, 14 gauge.

[THIS IS FOR SURFACE PIERCINGS ONLY - DO NOT DISCUSS OTHER PIERCINGS IN THIS THREAD]

the procedure was pretty [EDIT] easy, i just laid it atop my wrist, dotted where i wanted the bar to poke out, and took my needle and pressed in.
    i felt no pain at all, and i dont mean the "man, that didnt hurt" kind of no pain, i mean, it was PAINLESS. the most painful part was trying to push it through with my thumb, and having the other end of the needle pry into my thumb, but even that was dull.

i lubed up the needle with KY, because its water based and is recomended by many piercers, and then pinched the skin, and stuck it through by putting  the end of the needle (the part without a needle point) onto a flat, hard surface, and pressed. it glided in and didnt even bleed much, then i pulled it through and placed in the barbell.

easy.
    lovely.
    free.

[hr:1f6619374e]
    First, there's no such thing as an "anti-wrist"...it would be like a shoulder piercing or something, to be anti-wrist.

Second, any "surface piercing" needs to be done with appropriate jewelry, not a straight barbell.  Congratulations, what you have is a Pre-Rejection Piercing.

Third, only discuss your SURFACE PIERCING in the SURFACE PIERCING thread/forum.

Fourth, you must read the forum rules before posting again.  We do not allow any form of profanity on our site.

11. lanispet

lanispet New Member

So far so good...

As soon as i saw the surface slave barbell on the PP website (each barbell end serves as the ball for a CBR), i knew i needed at least one, so i got a 1", 12ga piece. Now, what to do with it?

Yup, it's gotta be a pubic piercing :twisted: This was a DIY/amateur job, mostly done by my wife with some input from me, and done with a needle.

A tip- don't try to run a 1" surface bar freehand. The needle ended up coming out altogether before we got the bar through the exit hole (oops), so i was left poking around, trying to coax the end through by itself. It was actually painless, no nerve endings back there, but it was squicky to see the bar poking up behind the skin. Finally, i had to give up... it wasn't going to work.

After letting it heal for about 10 days, at which point the needle marks were no longer visible, we decided to try again. This time, she clamped the heck out of it, and wormed the bar through on the first try. It looked soooo cool :mrgreen: Pain was minimal, more from the clamp than anything else.

2 weeks later, i've still got some redness around the entry/exits, but no sign of migration. It occasionally gets uncomfortable, especially riding a motorcycle in tight jeans (duuuuuh!), but actual pain is rare. Most of the time it's unobtrusive. Crusties require daily cleaning at this point, no big surprise there. No additional sensation, also not surprising, but i'm really happy with the way it looks. Hopefully i'll stay on its good side and be able to heal it without further problems.

...dave

-Update 11/13/06-
    Piercing seems to be healed at this point. Had a bump appear at one side for a couple of weeks, but it went away on its own. Me likey :mrgreen:

12. phyrphreek

phyrphreek New Member

What kind of surface piercing did you get
    About an inch,inch 1/2 long clavical piercings over each side of the collar bone

How were you pierced (gun, needle, professional, DIY, etc)
    Professional,with a clamp and needle

What gauge were you pierced at?
    14 gauge

What jewelry were you pierced with?
    Tygon

How painful was your piercing experience?
    Clamp hurt a lil,initial shock of it was kinda strong,but not enough to even make me flinch *;)

How long was it painful after piercing?
    It's only been a couple of days,but there's times I forget they're there. Pain went away as soon as he let up off the clamp

How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)?
    Still healing! (Been 3 days)

Did you have any problems, like tearing, migration, etc?
    Not yet,but I'm still skeptical. Hopefully not,though!

Does your pierced area affect you differently than it did prior to piercing (get comments,play with the jewelry, do you regret the piercing, etc)?
    People are completely freaked out,especially since I don't have any other piercings (besides my ears). Everything else is pretty normal. I'm gonna have fun with these when they heal,attaching small,light chains to them and connecting them to my naval. w00t!

13. pretendworld_

pretendworld_ New Member

• What kind of surface piercing did you get? sternum
    • How were you pierced (gun, needle, professional, DIY, etc) needle
    • What gauge were you pierced at? 12g
    • What jewelry were you pierced with? PTFE bar
    • How painful was your piercing experience? The clamp was quite painful, but the piercing itself wasn't too bad.
    • How long was it painful after piercing? ten minutes maybe; I was in shock.
    • How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)? It's been five weeks and it's still healing.
    • Did you have any problems, like tearing, migration, etc? I think the migration is kicking in soon. And bras are sooo annoying now.
    • Does your pierced area affect you differently than it did prior to piercing (get comments, play with the jewelry, do you regret the piercing, etc)? Wow, I don't really understand this. Umm. Not a lot of people tend to comment. I regret getting it pierced by the perso who did it. But it's cute :)

14. tokyosun7

tokyosun7 New Member

Worried

[​IMG]

Turn your head to the left and that's my surface piercing.
    I did it myself, does it look right?

15. JxDizzle

JxDizzle New Member

• What kind of surface piercing did you get? Inverted Collarbone
    • How were you pierced (gun, needle, professional, DIY, etc) The needle
    • What gauge were you pierced at? 16g
    • What jewelry were you pierced with? surface barbell
    • How painful was your piercing experience? The Clamps hurt more than anything
    • How long was it painful after piercing? not much pain, mostly soreness
    • How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)? a week and a half
    • Did you have any problems, like tearing, migration, etc? started tearing if i moved in awkward positions, or my seatbelt getting caught.. haha
    • Does your pierced area affect you differently than it did prior to piercing (get comments, play with the jewelry, do you regret the piercing, etc)? the ladies love em, sometimes, makes for great conversations.. :)

16. tessariot

tessariot New Member

To tokyosun, safety pins really don't count as piercings. Also you really shouldn't keep that in for very long, especially since it probably wasn't sterilized and it's not proper jewelry for a surface piercing. My advice to you is to get it done professionally or at the very least, use professional STERILE equipment.

17. Gina_mod

Gina_mod New Member

ive had 2 surface piercings reject on me, first was on my right hip.

[​IMG]

it was done with a curved PTFE bar and lasted around 7 monthes in total...

it healed up great too, it scarred heavily though, scars no longer visible (tattoo coverge)

2nd to reject was on my right wrist!

[​IMG]

in that picure is when its freshly done, 1.6mm PTFE curved bar!

it lasted around 12 months though.

and again it left a notcable scar.

[​IMG]

i later got another above it with a 1.6mm titanium staple bar

all were done proffesionally :)

theres my nape too but i have no pics of it

18. shelby_mod

shelby_mod New Member

What kind of surface piercing did you get?

Nape

• How were you pierced (gun, needle, professional, DIY, etc)

neddle

• What gauge were you pierced at?
    14 G

• What jewelry were you pierced with?

a 5/18 in (Ithink) surface bar with flat disks

• How painful was your piercing experience?

It was ok, again more painful than I anticipated. THe piercer was great, made me very comfortable. The jewelry insertion was probably most painful.

• How long was it painful after piercing?

The peircing is still fairly new. It is not painfull really. The piercing was tender the first day. Kinda hard to move my head. Now ( a week later) there is no pain. It is itchty at the moment, feels kinda like a healing scab.

• How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)?

still healing. Will tell you when it heals.

• Did you have any problems, like tearing, migration, etc?

not yet

• Does your pierced area affect you differently than it did prior to piercing (get comments, play with the jewelry, do you regret the piercing, etc)?

I get comments, people tend to either find it really cool, or really weird. I live an a small town so it is a REALLY unusal piercing to most people.

19. PiercedMouse

PiercedMouse The Kid

this just scream infection i hope you took it you

20. BodyPiercingByRaven

BodyPiercingByRaven New Member

10 year old surface piercings

My first surface piercing were on myself.

I have the sides were my vaginal area meets with my legs pierced, on the upper side at 45 degree angles. Yes they HURT LIKE CRAP!

I had been apprenticing for a while and my teacher (whom I studied under for 5 years) whom was a former instructor at the Gauntlet many years ago, and was orginally recognized by PFIQ back in the 60's. Told me her way of going about surface piercings.

I have had mine for a decade and I love them. I normally would use a 90 degree bar and fit it to the body part. Mine though because of the soft tissue of the skin in the location of my piercings are still very vasculor we used 45 degree bars at an IN WARD angle. I would not normally recommend this, but it's all back to knowing your anatomy, knowing your jewelry and MOST of all how to use your needle. You don't do surface piercings the same way you do an eyebrow or naval. Anyone who's working professionally is more than welcome to get ahold of me for needle tricks, how the whole is placed in the first place is a big deal.

As far as my clients go, I have a 8 year old double wrist piercing still in place, about 2 dozen napes at over 2 years, hip piercings at 5 years, a sternum sitting at 4 years, hehe a butt crack at over a year *long story....stripper....just above her crack top and bottom ball are under and over her g string* A christine at about 2 years now. The list goes on and on. Many of my clients, simply get over their surface piercing the way many of us get over a piercing. I am glad to say that MOST of my surface piercings are only taken out because my clients can NO longer have them, get over them, etc etc. More of my clients still have theirs than have been taken out.