1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Please Share your Surface Piercing Experiences!

Discussion in 'Surface Piercings' started by Illyria Jade_mod, Feb 10, 2005.

1. jaycee1984

jaycee1984 New Member

yes I agree with this. I also had one before. [​IMG]

2. sarahxashley

sarahxashley New Member

Hip Surface Piercing

I got my right hip professionally pierced about a month ago. The piercer suggested that I just got one done at a time, and I was sort of upset about not getting the pair all at once, but I am really glad I did it that way. She mentioned that it may be in my best interest to see if my body could handle a surface piercing, rather than paying for both and having them both reject, i wouldn't have paid as much and it wouldn't be as much of a disappointment if the one would reject. However, I'm going back this week to get the left one done cause my right has healed beautifully. (There were times that it looked less than favorable, but! she said it was normal to look a tad bit irritated once you took its location into consideration.) She pierced it with a 16g needle i think, with a surface-barbell that curves up at an 80 degree angle at each end. The clamp was without a doubt the most painful part of getting the piercing, but even at that, it felt no different than when i got my bellybutton & lip done. She described that the needle was going to end up feeling like momentary sunburn, and it did. (With that, it obviously did not hurt that bad.) Honestly, it hurt a lot worse while healing the next few days than it did to get done. It was an adjustment. (I'd suggest investing in a few pairs of low-rise sweatpants, or soft-denim jeans?) It took about three and a half weeks to heal entirely. And my piercing is yet to tear or migrate. Although, it does get irritated when i drive and sit down without adjusting my jeans first, because it does get caught often. All in all, I couldn't be happier with the piercing.

3. Rainbird

Rainbird The Pierced Godmother Staff Member

Hi sarahxashley
    I see that this is your first post so let me WELCOME you to pp forum. It's great to have new people joining the family.
    Please read the rules and have a wander down to the gallery & archives and have a good poke around.
    It would be good if you did an introduce yourself post and told us all a bit about yourself, where you live, body mods etc, etc.
    I always like to hear about positive experiences and the progress, be it good or bad of your new piercings and tats.
    Welcome again, join in and have fun.

4. georginaaa

georginaaa New Member

• What kind of surface piercing did you get?
    My left hip.

• How were you pierced (gun, needle, professional, DIY, etc)
    Very large needle!

• What jewelry were you pierced with?
    The bar with 90 degree bends.

• How painful was your piercing experience?
    EXTREMELY. It was, hands down, the most painful thing i've ever gone through. Was thinking about getting my other one done (so i had both done) before I got my first one, but now thats definately not an option. Not going through that again thanks very much.

• How long was it painful after piercing?
    Well i only got it done 3 days ago, and it still hurts now when i touch it or something brushes past it (e.g. clothes)

• How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)?
    Haven't had it long enough to say really, but when it comes to crusties i haven't experienced that with this piercing past the day i got it. Its a little bit red around both of the balls but doesn't look like much to worry about.

• Did you have any problems, like tearing, migration, etc?
    Not yet, and fingers crossed I wont at all.

• Does your pierced area affect you differently than it did prior to piercing (get comments, play with the jewelry, do you regret the piercing, etc)?
    Well it means I have to be a lot more careful around it now. I cant sleep on that side of my body properly yet (in fear of affecting it), my boyfriend cant hold me there, where he usually likes to, i have to take a different approach to straightening my hair, as the wire of the straighteners is quite thick and heavy, and sometimes drops down onto the area, etc.
    There has been many varying comments on my piercing, a couple of people have said it looks nice, or cool, some people have just said "what the hell, why?" and my boyfriend has said it looks kinky, so :)

So all in all, i'd recommend it as i absolutely love the way this piercing looks. Although personally I won't be going through that pain again.

5. kjtaylr

kjtaylr New Member

• What kind of surface piercing did you get? BELLY BUTTON SURFACE
    • How were you pierced (gun, needle, professional, DIY, etc) DIY NEEDLE
    • What gauge were you pierced at? 14G
    • What jewelry were you pierced with? TONGUE BAR
    • How painful was your piercing experience? FELT LIKE A PINCH
    • How long was it painful after piercing? NOT PAINFUL AT ALL
    • How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)? STILL CURRENTLY IN HEALING STAGE
    • Did you have any problems, like tearing, migration, etc? NOT YET
    • Does your pierced area affect you differently than it did prior to piercing I KINDA LIKE IT, BEEN WANTING IT DONE FOR AGES BUT GOT TOLD IT COULDNT BE A PROPER BELLY PIERCING SO I DID IT MYSELF AS A SURFACE PIERCING TO SAVE THE CASH AND ALSO JUST IN CASE IT REJECTED. IM HAPPY WITH IT. USED A STERILISED 14G NEEDLE AND CLEAN CLAMPS. DIDNT HURT AT ALL TO BE HONEST BUT I'VE SORTA BUILD UP A BIT OF A TOLERANCE FOR CERTAIN TYPES OF PAIN SO YEAH :D

6. UofTgeek

UofTgeek New Member

What kind of surface piercing did you get
    Clavicle surface piercings x2, Christina

How were you pierced (gun, needle, professional, DIY, etc)
    Needle, done by a professional

What gauge were you pierced at?
    16 for all three

What jewelry were you pierced with?
    Curved barbell or the christina (which isn't bad because a christina is only "kind of" a surface piercing)
    Silicone for the clavicle surface piercings. I was worried that I should have gotten surface bars, which perhaps I should have, but until now they're fine and I even got a second opinion which agreed that the silicone should heal just fine.

How painful was your piercing experience?
    Christina- very painful!
    Clavicles- not. at. all!
    Note: I've found that it doesn't matter how painful or painless a piercing is normally considered to be, it all depends on the piercer. I went to the #5 fastest piercer in the world (highly recommended guy, not just fast but good) and he did it amazingly. The christina was done by my friend's boyfriend (professional piercer). He was good- but not great, so it was rather painful.
    Remember, all of these piercings are [relatively] fast and the worst part of a piercing is the anticipation before it. Trust me, if you just don't think about it (grab a friend's hand or something and focus on clenching that) until it's over, you'll be better off!

How long was it painful after piercing?
    If you're referring to the fresh pain of being pierced, it only hurt while the needle was going through, unlike nipple piercings which give a throbbing pain afterwards for a good long time and spreads down to half your chest and your entire ipsilateral arm.
    Healing pain isn't all that bad either. Surface piercings heal relatively painlessly, a LOT less painfully than cartilage piercings (of which I have 15).
    In my experience, surface piercings hurt only until the final jewelry is put in [after the needle] and may be a teensy bit uncomfortable upon cleaning.

How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)?
    The christina piercing I've had for two years now, with no problems whatsoever. The crusties went away after around.. 2 months-ish? Hard to remember.
    The clavicles are still new, just 5 days old, so I don't yet know how it'll heal. Hopefully well!
    If you're getting nape/nipple/clavicle/sternum piercings, word of advise- if you have long hair, always tie it at night. Woke up this morning to a slightly bloody left clavicle piercing thanks to my long-ass hair. Lesson learned! The piercing's fine now.

Did you have any problems, like tearing, migration, etc?
    Christina- none.
    Clavicles- too early to tell, but so far nothing other than bruising after the piercing itself.

Does your pierced area affect you differently than it did prior to piercing (get comments, play with the jewelry, do you regret the piercing, etc)?
    I don't regret any of my piercings (except for the fleeting doubt before the needle goes through), but perhaps I should have waited to get the christina for a bit longer. See, though I'm eccentric with piercings, I'm rather, uhm, inexperienced in other aspects of life.
    I got the christina before ever having kissed anyone (at age 18) and no one, save for my friends, knew about it until age 20 (i.e. right about now). So, of course this particular person that "discovered" my christina piercing decided to blab about it to the world. In sum, the piercings I love, but some people- not so much.
    The clavicle got me a ton of stares on the plane ride I took right after getting them, but also many compliments.
    Basically, I like them all and don't regret any piercings, but some other people may have their own idea and be careful telling/showing them.

Lastly: Only get these piercings for yourself, not to prove anything to anyone or other, similar reasons. My friends are okay with my piercings but don't "love" them, so I don't feel like I've been pressured by anyone into doing them. Though it's quick, you don't want to go through that pain for someone else!
    Enjoy your piercings!

P.S.- In case you're curious, here's my list of piercings:
    Left ear: 5x cartilage, 3x lobes, transversal, tragus, helix, conch
    Right ear: industrial, 2x daith, 5x cartilege, 3x lobes
    2x horizontal nipples
    2x surface clavicles
    Christina
    Face: smiley, eyebrow, septum, nostril
    Most painful: nipples; least painful: eyebrow or right clavicle

7. Angel on the Edge

Angel on the Edge Administrator

Hi Leoretobias,

Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! Thank you for the great info you shared with us about your piercing experiences! Please also take a moment to introduce yourself formally here: https://bodyjewelryforum.painfulpleasures.com/forums/introduce-yourself.42/

Also, please review the Rules of the Forum here: https://bodyjewelryforum.painfulpleasures.com/forums/rules-of-the-forums.32/

Note that your next 2 posts will need to be approved by a moderator, but after that your posts will go live immediately.

We look forward to hearing more from you! Please let Rainbird, xXJarredXx or me know if you have any questions about the forum or gallery.

All the Best,
    Laura

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  8. iactimmah

iactimmah New Member

• What kind of surface piercing did you get?
    One dermal above each nipple.
    • How were you pierced (gun, needle, professional, DIY, etc)
    Needle
    • What jewelry were you pierced with?
    Anchors with Opal gems on them
    • How painful was your piercing experience?
    Somewhat but not too bad. Then again this was 43rd and 44th time
    • How long was it painful after piercing?
    First 2 days were sore.
    • How long did it take to heal fully (no more crusties, no pain, etc)?
    Only on day 4 so far but everything good.
    • Did you have any problems, like tearing, migration, etc?
    No.
    • Does your pierced area affect you differently than it did prior to piercing (get comments, play with the jewelry, do you regret the piercing, etc)?
    Still too new to say.