1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Stretching A Vertical Industrial?

Discussion in 'All Things Stretched' started by slundeen267, Aug 4, 2016.

1. slundeen267

slundeen267 New Member

My vertical industrial is now well over a year old, and healed quite nicely. Surprisingly enough, its given me less trouble than my helix piercing! However, my piercer refused to do at at a gauge larger than 16, even though I explicitly asked for a 14g, due to the immensely larger variety in jewelry. She instead suggested that I stretch it once it was healed, so I went along with it, trusting her. This was my first piercing not done with a gun, so I didn't really know any better. But as I read more on this forum, it seems stretching cartilage is generally not a good idea. I would love to have it at a 14g, any tips, tricks, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks- Sam

2. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! Please take a moment to tell us a bit more about yourself in the Introduce Yourself area. Also, please read the Rules of the Forum at your convenience.

The gallery is available for viewing or posting. Without a login you will be able to see non-mature content, but you will not be able to post there or view mature content.

If you have any questions about the forum or gallery, feel free to reach out to me or our other moderators, Angel on the Edge, Rainbird, Craftsman and xXJarredXx.

I can't say I know much about cartilage piercings, but I am sure one of the other moderators does. I will have someone let you know.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  3. xXJarredXx

xXJarredXx El Duderino Staff Member

It's usually much harder to stretch cartilage than it is to do regular soft tissue like the lobes. Cartilage is a non-elastic tissue, and isn't really meant to be stretched. It can cause tearing in the cartilage tissue, or push it out in rather unfortunate ways.

It's very possible that you could go from a 16 to a 14 without much damage, if any. I would highly recommend not going higher than that with tapers or other methods. One way of getting large gauges into cartilage tissue would be a dermal punch. It looks like a pen with a cookie cutter on one end. The piercer uses it much like a needle, and it cuts a large section of the tissue out to fit larger jewelry.

Keep in mind, torn cartilage tissue does not tend to heal well. So if any damage is incurred by stretching, it's likely to stay that way.