1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

surface bar purple since day one but dissapears when fluid drawn out, natural or rejecting?

Discussion in 'Surface Piercings' started by Chloe_T, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Chloe_T

Chloe_T New Member

Hi there!
    I've had a surface bar in the centre of my chest for approx 4months. Almost from day one I had a purple line (where the bar sat under my skin) Obviously i put this down to bruising of a new piercing, now 4 months on it's the same.

I noticed it was quite inflamed around the area & a white/ cream substance oozed out. It wasn't off in any colour or smelt so i looked it up & found it was normal & the advice was to apply pressure to get it out?I then noticed the inflammation went down & the purple mark temporally dissapeared.

4months on I'm still having to remove the substance atleast once daily. It's only sometimes uncomfortable/ sore when applying preassure & obviously if i catch it, there's sometimes a little blood but it's usually quite watered down liquid.

I'm pretty sure it's NOT infected because I used the piercing aftercare 3times a day for 2months & since ive stopped using it the piercing hasn't changed. View attachment 644

I went into the place i had it originally pierced & he was rude, wouldn't look at it & told me (from my explanation of it just being purple) to take it out as it's rejecting. he then asked if the holes where getting bigger to which i answered no-which made him unsure if it actually was rejecting?

obviously I like the piercing & really want to keep it in but if it means leaving permanent scarring i will take it out as a very last resort!

Really appreciate anyone's advice (p.s please don't comment your opinions if you haven't either had the same situation or medically know the problem)

2. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

The picture link didn't work so I removed it.

The behavior of your piercer is a bit concerning. These types of businesses rely on word of mouth for their reputation and future business. He really should have had a better bedside manner.

White can be just lymph. Purple... not so sure. I have seen some red blemishes. Purple does make you think of bruising as you said. If the holes aren't getting larger/stretching and the bar isn't becoming more visible through the skin, than I doubt it's rejecting.

If the area is red or inflamed looking and warm/hot/sore to the touch then you likely have an infection.

Good aftercare is the best way to ensure your piercing heals properly. It's best to perform sea salt soak on the area for 5 - 10 minutes 2 times a day. If you can't invert a cup over the area without leakage, I would use a saturated paper towel and press it against the piercing.

Take showers only (no baths or swimming). Cleaning the piercing can be done in or after a shower. Do not apply soap directly to the piercing. The soap can be driven into the wound and clog it up. Incidental soap from washing other areas is fine so long as you rinse well afterwards.

Even if you do everything right it's possible it will still reject. Surface piercings like this do seem to reject more often than other types. Still it sounds like yours is doing well so far so I am hopeful.

If you have any questions, let us know and let us know how you make out.