1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Swollen Dermal

Discussion in 'Surface Piercings' started by Hdolly2013, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Hdolly2013

Hdolly2013 New Member

I have had my lower back dermals for a week now. I have done sea salt soaks everyday, and have been careful to keep them covered when they could possibly get caught on something. One side is doing great, however my right side has remained swollen this whole week. The top is very flush to the skin, slightly "sunk" looking. It doesn't seem to be getting better or worse. I have tried ice packs and ibuprofen (my piercer's suggestion) to reduce the swelling with no luck. My piercer had more difficulty inserting the anchor on the side. It doesn't feel hot to the touch so I don't believe it is infected. Any ideas?

2. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

New piercings do swell initially. So long as there is no irritation, they should start to heal and shrink. There can be a problem if there isn't enough room for the tissue to swell. The one that is "sunk" looking sounds as though it doesn't have enough bar length. What you are doing sounds like the right idea. If nothing is getting worse, you could try to wait it out a little longer, but you may be developing a pressure wound. I don't know if PP sells them, but they do make extension to screw into the base, but that could help if you can find one. Other than that, I'm not sure what to do. If you need mode detailed help, PM me.