1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

why are anodized jewelry ALWAYS chipped?

Discussion in 'Body Jewelry' started by victorialopez, Mar 21, 2015.

1. victorialopez

victorialopez New Member

Hi i have had the nostral and septum pierced for 3 months. 1St i bought an anodized titanium hoop from PP, and it came chipped, like it looks like the color is chipping off and you can see the silver color underneath. So then i bought two more pieces of jewelry from two different places and both had the same chipping on the anodized colored part. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? Is this safe to put in my piercing? Will i get chips of paint in my piercing? All the sellers are replacing the jewelry, but it seems like all the pieces chip. Will this chip in my piercing at a later time, since they all seem to chip anyways? Im so confused.

2. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! Please take a moment to tell us a bit more about yourself in the Introduce Yourself area. Also, please read the Rules of the Forum at your convenience.

The gallery is available for viewing or posting. Without a login you will be able to see non-mature content, but you will not be able to post there or view mature content.

If you have any questions about the forum or gallery, feel free to reach out to me or our other moderators, Angel on the Edge, Rainbird, Craftsman and xXJarredXx.

Properly done anodizing shouldn't chip. Anodizing electrically alters the surface of the metal and the depth of penetration is what determines the color (physics). There is no paint, stain or dye. There are only 2 colors that anodized Titanium can't generate. True black and true red are not possible (physics).

If you can feel a loss of material (rough/sharp edges) than it did chip. In that case I would contact customer service.

Under normal daily wear I would not expect it to happen. Is you jewelry located where it see's a lot of wear of collisions with other jewelry?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  3. victorialopez

victorialopez New Member

No i didnt wear the jewelry, thats how it came in the package. It looked chipped. Even from PP. one item was chipped. Like the color was flaking off

4. victorialopez

victorialopez New Member

So if thats how it is, will it keep chipping in my piercing? Should i wear it or throw it away?

5. Craftsman

Craftsman Member Staff Member

If it was damaged when you got it, PP should replace it for you.

6. victorialopez

victorialopez New Member

Ok i know, it being replaced is not the question. The question is do i throw them away or is it going to keep chipping in my piercing? And since 3 pieces have come chipped, even from PP that swears to be high quality, it seems all anodized will chip sooner or later .... so wont any anodized piece chip in my piercing? since they all chip?

7. victorialopez

victorialopez New Member

Ughhhhhh im so confused i have wasted so much money in these piercings

8. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

Anodizing should't be chipping. Especially since it was likely packaged immediately after coloring. You may be seeing an area that did not color evenly. I think customer support will have to help you sort this out. They have an e-mail and phone number you can use to contact them. I would suggest something, but once the package is opened they may say you can't return it so its best if you contact them first.