1. Welcome to the Painful Pleasures community! New members, please read the Rules of the Forum before posting. You should also introduce yourself here before submitting any other posts. If you're interested in sharing photos of your body mods, please read the Rules of the Gallery first. At any time, you can use the "Start a Conversation" feature to get private help from our moderators, Angel on the Edge, Dnd4evr, Rainbird, xXJarredXx, Revs, and Craftsman. Enjoy the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Why is 1g/7mm so hard to come by?

Discussion in 'Body Jewelry' started by VTski, Dec 1, 2014.

1. VTski

VTski New Member

What's the deal with this? Is it just hard to get 7mm bar stock to begin with? I'm not really interested in doing a 2g to 0g stretch. 7mm would sure be a nice step in between.

2. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

I am sure you could get custom. The only problem is the expense.

3. Andrea_L

Andrea_L New Member

I've seen a scant few places selling 7mm.

I, too, was not keen to try 6mm to 8mm. I've never been able to re-insert jewellery after winding plumbers' tape around it just 1.5 times -- either it's not actually PTFE and is catching despite liberal amounts of jojoba oil, or I was Doing It Wrong.

As it turned out, I found some polypropylene lab consumables (unused! They haven't been inside a lab! And they cost about 1 cent each when bought in bulk, so I'm not advocating ruining employers) that have a tapered shape and a circumference of 7mm. I used something similar as a half-step when my lobes didn't want to go straight from 4g to 2g (Polypropylene discussion here: https://bodyjewelryforum.painfulpleasures.com/threads/polypropylene.19751/)

Exercise caution, buyer beware, etc., but... got any scientist friends?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  4. dnd4evr

dnd4evr Super Moderator Staff Member

Another option is using heat shrink over something like a barbell as between sizing. It worked well for me and others. I would not leave this in for long since the heat shrink is not meant for extended body contact.